My friend Vanessa had said that she was going to be running this. I knew that Todd was going to be working at the first aid station, so I thought I'd have to sit this one out.
When I took a quick vacation to Utah to pick Roger up, Vanessa watched my boys for a few hours until Todd got off work. When he arrived, he was invited to stay for dinner. During dinner they talked about the race and he said that he would make sure I could run it while Vanessa's husband offered to watch the boys during the run.
Day of the race I woke up late (too many kids had come into our bed during the night causing me to go into their bed and Todd had failed to wake me up until he was ready to go). I had to hurry and get the kids fed, dressed, and out the door. I felt badly about having Vanessa's husband watch the boys along with his own 3 children all by himself, so I decided to make a call to Saint Dorthy. I knew her husband was running in the race also and that she may be available to help, which of course she did.
Just in time I got all the kids settled, parked, and got in line to start the run. I found Vanessa just as they were singing the National Anthem. The run went very well. Saw several people I knew, many from my ward, almost felt like a church gathering.
During the race I saw a friend from the PTA. She was running with her husband, and I ran with them for a moment to talk. As we rounded a bend her husband sort of stumbled on something, nothing major, but it did slow him down so I went on ahead. Later I found out that he actually BROKE his ankle!! Todd helped him at the first aid station. I would say Poor Guy, but now my friend has to not only take care of their two boys, but mow the lawn and whatever else his broken ankle entails.
When I saw the finish line I realized that I was just under 44 minutes, and if I pushed myself I would definitely be under 45 minutes. I did it, I sprinted, and I cam in under 45 minutes - that's a 9 minute mile pace!!
Afterwards the kids participated in the Kid's Fun Run. Thanks again to Saint Dorthy for watching Grant during this. When I told the boys that they were going to run Mikey got upset and said, because of watching me run, that he didn't want to run on the road. Haha, very obedient boy.
I ran with the boys in their run. When the "race official" said, "on your mark, get set" William ran on ahead of me and crossed the starting line. After the start, all my boys ran near me, but then they soon were going at their own speeds.
William slowed down first, causing me to have to carry him. Roger then started whining, but I couldn't carry him also. I couldn't see where Mikey was, and for a moment was nervous. I was hoping that he continued running without us for he usually won't do anything without us around. As I was looking around for him, I spied him up ahead rounding a corner!!! I was so proud of him. After seeing him running, Roger picked up enthusiasm and started running himself. At the end Roger kept on insisting that he beat all of us to the finish line, but Mikey did understand and even told me privately that in reality he had beat us all.
Now if you go to the website to see the race results, you will not see my name. In all of the hustle and bustle to get out the door, I had accidentally put on Mikey's bib number for the Kid's Run. I didn't realize that my bib was different until it was time to put Mikey's on!! Whoops
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment