Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween
 This year, in my efforts to scale down our activities as much as possible, we only had a few Halloween activities. We had:
1- Ward Trunk-or-Treat
2- Homeschool Hangout Halloween crafts (Thanks to Jenn)
3- Halloween Hayride at Lake Farm Parks (Awesome. The girls and I stayed home this year while the boys went. Good thing too for it was windy and sleeting and freezing)
4- Trick-or-Treating in the neighborhood

Okay, that may have been more than I thought we were doing

Not wanting to worry about my kids' costumes after having a new baby, I attempted to get all of my kids' costumes picked out before I had Iralee. I say attempted for I was successful, kind of.
My mom had gone shopping with Mikey and Roger to pick out their costumes. Mikey had picked out a dinosaur costume. But once he was home and tried it on, it was awkwardly too small. Mikey liked it, so I tried being accepting of it. But I eventually decided that Mikey was too old to go around looking awkward. Just before the Trunk-or-Treat, we went to the store and got him a new costume.

This year for Halloween we had:
A Jedi Knight
A Glow-in-the-dark Skeleton
A Wolverine
A Spiderman
It was windy and raining during Trick-or-Treating
Little Red Riding Hood
And a Halloween/Pumpkin Princess
 The weather decided to get really nasty for Halloween. It wasn't freezing, but it was raining and very windy.
It was scary
 Evee was not impressed that I was not going to allow her to go Trick-or-Treating
But her brothers promised to share their candy with her
The girls and I passed out candy to all that came to our door
  I will admit, Halloween is not my favorite holiday. I hate the SCaRY aspect of it. I'm also not a huge fan of my kids getting buckets of candy, not only because it's unhealthy, but because it is a potential danger to my house and carpets (even though I have strict rules of not eating outside of the kitchen). But, I do love passing out candy. I love seeing the little kids all dressed up, and it can be a good opportunity to get to know your neighbors better. Too bad we only had about 10 Trick-or-Treaters.
 The girls enjoyed passing out candy as well....I think.
Evee sat in her Bumbo-like seat for over an hour!
 And she looked good doing it
 Iralee didn't help much, but she too looked good doing what she was doing.

After we were all done with Trick-or-Treating, the boys got out of their wet costumes and into their pajamas. Our tradition is to watch a movie while the kids have free-reign to eat all the candy that they want in hopes that we won't have candy around our house for the next year.
This year we watched the 2nd Harry Potter. The boys were super excited about this, especially since the older three have read it. William just finished it yesterday so it was still very fresh in his mind. The three younger boys got a little nervous near the end, but then Grant exclaimed "This isn't even real! You can't turn people to stone and have them not turn gray!" Wow, glad he has a good grip on reality.

No comments: