Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Bro Roger




 
My oldest brother (and sibling) is Roger. He was named after my grandpa, as was my Roger, but at the same time, my Roger was also named after my brother Roger. As a young girl I always liked his name and actually thought I would name one of my boys Roger, but then realized he would probably want to name one of his kids Roger. He did, but only as a middle name, so I was in the clear to use it.
Today, Christmas Eve, is Roger (my brother)'s birthday. He is always the hardest person to ever shop for, and especially since his birthday is so close to Christmas, it sometimes gets passed over. So, I wanted to take the opportunity to document, publically, my thoughts, feelings, and gratitude for this great man.
Being the oldest child cannot be easy. You are the guinne pig of the family, and such was the case with Roger. God knew what He was doing when he sent Roger to my parents for he was always a pretty good kid, and a good example and protector of his siblings. I always wanted to have my first child to be a boy because of Roger.
Roger is very easy-going, he rolls with the punches very well. There are only a few things he is particular about, but for the most part he makes life easy and pleasant for those around him.
Roger is a good husband to his wife, Tavia (whom I absolutely adore). He has supported her in going back to school, having more kids (well, he was more than supportive of that one, he loves babies), and even running ultramarathons and Ironmans. He allows her to do and be what will make her better and happier.
It is always fun to see your siblings as parents, and Roger is a good one. He spends time with his boys, doing what he and they enjoy. He encourages his girls, and though they have him wrapped around their fingers, he still is able to hold his ground and tell his kids "no" when it is appropriate. He sets good boundaries for them, boundaries that will help them become better people. I remember him saying (before I had kids and his oldest was about 2) that you can either "fight" with your kids when they're 2 and win, or you can "fight" with your kids when their 15, and loose. Basically saying that you cannot be afraid to parent your kids, or else you will never be able to parent them when they really need it.
Roger is a computer programmer (or something with computers), but his interests are not limited to that. He loves to hunt, to play basketball, to dress stylishly, to exercise, to go to movies, to travel. He gets along with most anyone, and everyone that knows him, likes him. He finds common ground and he validates people.
Growing up, Roger was not the most natural basketball player, but he loved the game. He spent many, many hours in our driveway, working on different basketball drills. I remember the outside lights being on and listening to him dribble the ball just outside my bedroom window at night. Roger has always been willing to work hard, does not shy away from it. My boys love hearing the story of one year on Roger's birthday he helped my other brother get the 6-wheeler out of the creek, getting wet and totally destroying his pants in the process.
Roger is a great man, one that I am proud to say is my big brother. I am grateful to him for all that he has done for me, in my life, and the example he has set. I love you Roger. Happy Birthday.

No comments: