Sunday, May 11, 2014
A Letter to My Children
Dear Children,
I sit, surrounded by a messy house. Clothes, especially socks, are strewn around me, toys are everywhere to be stepped on, and I hate to look closely at any wall/corner/door of my house because there are streaks of dirt, hand prints, and chipped paint that shows the wear and tear of our home. There are couch pillows on the floor, and a foul odor coming from your rooms. The noise level in our home is quite high. There are screams of excitement, shouts of frustration, sounds of people running around, and lots of sound effects coming from your mouths.
I use to be cute and stylish, now I am lucky to be wearing a clean shirt. White snot streaks plague the shoulders of my shirts, and I only seem to notice that they are there after being in public. Speaking of going out in public, it is something that is not easy. Just the idea of getting loaded into the van can send a wave of exhaustion over my body.
For Mother's Day today, I requested that I be able to take a nap, only to find someone coming in every 15 minutes to complain about someone, ask about something, or seeking comfort. If you can imagine, I didn't quite get the rest I was desiring. Restful, uninterrupted sleep is now something I experience only in my dreams.
Today is my 10th Mother's Day as a mother, and let me tell you, I am not the same person I was 11 years ago. But I will say, I would not change a thing. I love seeing your smiles, hearing your laughter. I love cuddling with you, I love to hear your voice, hear your ideas - even when I don't quite understand them. I feel your frustrations, I feel your pains. I cry when you cry, I rejoice when you rejoice. I love teaching you, I love reading to you. I love when your trying to be funny, I love when you're funny though you're trying to not. I love holding you close, I love when you play with my hair. I love seeing you play together, I love when you hold or play with your little sisters. I love your imaginations. I love seeing you grow and develop, I love to see your progress, yet I am always saddened with each milestone for it means you are closer to becoming an adult.
You may mess up my house, you may mess up my hair, but I wouldn't change a thing. I love you. I love you so much. I loved you as babies, I loved you as toddlers, I love you as the children you are. Though I love to see who you are becoming each day, my only wish is that I could pause time, for it seems to be going by way too fast. I love my moments with you, I love your noises, I love your hand prints - even when they are on the windows. I love the dandelion weeds you pick for me. I love your excitement about life. I love your trust in people, I love your giggles, I love watching you walk, watching you run. I love your facial expressions. I love your hope, I love your sense of reality, I love your faith, I love your determination. I love your creativity, I love your energy, I love your hands, I love your toes, I love the way your face scrunches when you are concentrating, I love seeing your enthusiasm about a new book. I love celebrating your birthdays, celebrating your life. I love your utter acceptance and love for me, I love your compassion for one another. I love your optimism, I love your joy.
This Mother's Day, I am grateful. I get to be a mom, I get to be your mom, and I love it.
Thank you for being my child. Thank you for not only enriching my life, but for changing it.
Love, Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Loni, I just got done talking to you and if you didn't realize - all of a sudden I mentally checked out for a second because I realized who you were when Jocelyn said you had 6 kids. I've been reading your blog too. I'm one of your stalkers -oops I mean followers- since you first commented on my blog. I would have emailed you this comment but I don't know your email. You are amazing and admirable - I'm so glad we met, and I hope to run with you again soon.
Post a Comment