In an effort to give my kids real-life experiences, I had Mikey and Roger ride their bikes to the library. We have driven this 2.5 mile route many times, but I felt that they were ready for the independence, self-awareness, and confidence that going on your own would provide. I drew them a map, gave them specific instructions, and sent them on their way.....with me and the other kids following closely behind in the van.
The boys lost their map on the way there, but were able to follow my instructions. When we got to the library, we discovered that it was closing in 10 minutes! My boys did an awesome job of quickly picking out their books. We checked out and left.
While I was still checking out, Roger had gotten on his bike and headed for home. This made me a little nervous, but with him being much more confident, I figured it would all be okay. I followed Mikey to the point which I knew that he knew how to get home, and I drove ahead to see if Roger made it safely.
I was worried when I discovered that his bike was not in the garage. I quickly started heading back, figuring I knew which turn he had missed and drove the route to see if I could find him.
I drove the route but no Roger. I still felt calm, Roger is independent and can think on his feet. As I was turning onto our street, I noticed a little bike rider coming the opposite way. I was so relieved to see that it was Roger.
Once out of the car, I expressed to Roger how impressed I was that he had found his way back, that it was not an easy task, but that he had done it. He came up to me and hugged me. It was then I realized how much the situation had stressed him out. He wasn't sure of where to go, or how to get home. In his mind, he was lost forever!!! He had ended up riding almost 5 miles!
Roger told me how he was unsure of where to go, but he kept praying that God would guide him. Then he told of how a car was exiting a plaza and didn't notice him riding across the sidewalk. The car almost hit him but stopped just in time!!! Roger said that he knew that it was God protecting him, making sure he made it home safe. He felt that God directed him in which way to turn and then led him to the street that he knew went to our street.
I was so proud of Roger. I hated hearing of his heartache, and definitely hated hearing of the close-call, but I was so proud of him for how he came out of the situation. He didn't freak out, he didn't cry, he didn't quit. He stayed focus, and alert, and most importantly, he trusted in God in his time of need.
Monday, September 8, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment