Friday, March 13, 2015

My Awesome Husband


I had a great day planned for Todd's birthday - well, all except that he had to go to work at 5 PM. But I forgot that Evelyn doesn't like to have someone steal her thunder. So what did she do? Went and got herself an hospital admission.
Evee woke up Sunday morning with a swollen, blistered finger. Todd said it was herpetic whitlow. Monday we took her to the pediatrician, and he said the same. All was good, but then Wednesday it started looking really bad, turning purplish/black and redness moving down into her hand.
Todd was at work that evening, so I took Evee in to see him at the ER. Evee hates doctors and nurses (can't say that I blame her). She never realized that her own father would betray her by being a doctor until he came into the room wearing a white coat. Oh the tears. She hugged me and cried as she realized her father had a double life.
Todd called the hand surgeon, Dr. E, in to look at Evee's finger. Dr. E was the one who took off Evee's extra finger, and is an awesome doctor. Todd has worked a lot with him in the ER and really feels that Dr. E knows his stuff, all while being incredibly caring.
Dr. E looked at Evee's finger and told Todd that he wanted to take off the nail, cut into the infection, and then admit Evee to the hospital for a couple of days so she could get IV antibiotics. He was shocked when Todd informed him that it couldn't happen for the hospital, though it has a pediatric unit, cannot and will not admit trached children.
That left us with only one option: going downtown.
After securing the kids with my friend, we got to the ER downtown just past midnight. We spent 4 hours in the ER before we were taken upstairs and got the IV antibiotic started. It wasn't fun and very exhausting. We spent the rest of the day in the hospital, in which Todd left to go to work.
I felt bad that it was Todd's birthday and this was how we celebrated it, but it is how life is when you are a parent to any child, but especially with one with Special Needs.
Even though it wasn't much of a celebration, having Todd's birthday allows me to recollect my love and appreciation of him.

When you are dating someone, you think you love them, you think you know them, but you do not. After a few years of marriage, you realize that you did not really know that person, nor did you really love them before. I will say that I was surprised with who Todd really is, but I will say that who he really is is much better and nobler than who I thought he was.  I am grateful for the Spirit that lead me to marry Todd, for I do not think I could have made such an awesome decision on my own.
Todd is a great guy. I know that gets said about a lot of guys, but I do not know if it is as sincere or true as when it is said about Todd. He has love and compassion for everyone. He has a good heart that wants to help people and do good. And what's even better is that he doesn't get lazy and have good intentions without any actions, he acts on his intentions. He is the first to volunteer. He is the first to get off his seat to offer it to someone else, or to help someone with what they are doing.

One morning while I was making breakfast, Evee had awoken. Todd went and brought her out of her room. He quickly realized that she needed a diaper change, badly. Instead of waiting the 5 minutes until the nurse arrived, Todd took Evee into her room and dealt with the mess himself. This is the typical Todd I know. He could have easily rationalized that 5 more minutes in her diaper wouldn't hurt Evee, so why not let someone else - someone who is getting paid - deal with the unpleasantness. But Todd was thinking about Evee. Whether Evee minded the diaper or not, Todd didn't want her to have to sit in it. Todd was, and is, more concerned about others than he is about the work that helping  them would require for him.
Todd is not only easy to be married to, but a joy. He is supportive of me, making sure that I fulfill my dreams, making sure I get rest, that I get taken care of. He really cares about me and my needs, wants, and fears. I hate having him work, for I love being with him. I love talking with him, I love his sense of humor. He says some of the funniest things, that constantly have me smiling, even during hard times.

I love how sensitive Todd is. He would do anything for his girls, and he has an especially sensitive spot for individuals with Special Needs, often having to hold back tears when he shares an experience from work. Yet Todd is so strong. He can handle any challenge. In those moments of trials, he turns to the Lord and his faith sustains him.

Even though it won't go down in the history books of the best (nor worst) birthday, Todd, I'm glad you had a birthday so that I could celebrate you. You make my life so very sweet. I love you more today than ever before.

1 comment:

annahannah said...

He is an awesome guy, that's for sure. I agree that we don't really know the man we marry. I never realized how good David would be for me.

BTW, you need to get a new photo. Poor Iralee.