I believe the Bible to be the Word of God. I study it's teachings and follow it's doctrine. But for this group, belief in the Bible is not enough. I would have to believe that the Bible is the only record of God's dealing and revelations to man. The word only is keeping me out.
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many know us as "Mormons", a nick-name that others have given us because of the book of scriptures we have received called The Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon does not replace the Bible, but rather is "Another Testament of Christ". Just as in the Bible we learn of God's revelations, teachings and commandments given to man through God's prophets, in The Book of Mormon we learn of God's revelations, teachings, and commandments given to prophets in a different part of the world. The teachings and commandments found in The Book of Mormon all focus on the same purpose as the Bible, to convince man that Jesus is the Christ, the Redeemer, and that there is no other way to Salvation except through Him.
When I asked a representative of this homeschool group if the word "only" was just a short-sided insertion, she immediately made it clear that it was intentional. I was dumbfounded. I could understand being excluded if I didn't believe in the Bible, or if the group were all inclusive to one denomination, but instead I found this thinking to be totally exclusive to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unfortunately this is not the only group nor people that have these feelings towards my beliefs, and particularly about The Book of Mormon.
This makes me very sad for I love The Book of Mormon and have found so much peace from studying it's words. It is something that has helped me so much in my life, it's words are simple, it's message of love is clear.
This made me wonder why there are people that love the words of God found in the Bible but have such an aversion to the messages found in The Book of Mormon.
The answer is ignorance.
That is why I have felt directed to write this post.
I am not asking that you believe The Book of Mormon to be true. What I am asking is that you allow yourself to understand what The Book of Mormon is, what it's teachings are.
Consider these passages:
I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them. (1 Nephi 3:7)
And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins. (2 Nephi 25:26)
Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you.
And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do
good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the
captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted. (Jacob 2: 17-19)
And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. (Mosiah 2:17)
Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them. (Mosiah 4:9-10)
The Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; (Alma 7:13)
And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive
and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering;
being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the
commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand
in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God
for whatsoever things ye do receive.
And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works. (Alma 7:23-24)
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. (Helaman 5:12)
And behold it is written also, that thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy;
But behold I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you;
That ye may be the children of your Father who is in heaven; for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good. (3 Nephi 12:43-45)
The Book of Mormon is so special to me. I am not asking you to accept The Book of Mormon as scripture, I am asking you to consider that it is a book that teaches things harmonious to the Bible, a book that encourages Christ-like behavior, encourages faith in Christ, a book who's central message is that Christ loves us.
To learn more about the Book of Mormon, go here.
To get your own free copy of the Book of Mormon, go here.
No comments:
Post a Comment