Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Birthday Celebration

In celebration for Roger's birthday, we had Crepples for breakfast in the dining room.
What are Crepples? you ask me, well, it's actually a recipe i came up with. It is a cross between Waffles, Crepes, and even pancakes. The recipe is a waffle recipe, they taste similar to crepes, and they are cooked and eaten like pancakes.
Todd had the day off, and my mom and sisters were all in town. The zoo has a dinosaur exhibit going on, so we got ready and made our way to the zoo.
My boys LOVE the zoo. Growing up I can't even recall if we ever went to the zoo, but don't worry, I've more than made up for it. We go to the zoo several times a month, and with the dinosaur exhibit, we have been going even more frequently.
We got to see a lot of the animals, and as a special treat, got to ride the train
My mom and sisters were so worn out, even within the first 30 minutes! They had to sit down wherever we went. They actually started playing the "Would you rather" game asking, "Would you rather go to the zoo, or run a marathon". My mom, who has run many marathons chose the marathon choice. Then they were asking, "Would you rather go to the zoo or clean the house" to which I reminded them that my reality was I fulfill both choices.
I think I earned some more respect from my mom and sisters.
We made our way to the Dinosaur exhibit. There they have like replica-robotics of 12 different dinosaurs. The boys LOVE LOVE LOVE this. So we took our time.
Then we returned home where Roger opened his gifts. He got the frog raincoat he had tried on in Canada (aren't I a sneaky mom....he had no clue.....then again he's only 4, and WAS only 3)
Aunt Lana surprised him with two little turtles. He was so excited! He had to immediately play with them. All the boys love the turtles, and me.....well.....I am scared of the boys getting sick from them, so there is a lot of disinfectant going on in our home.
Then we had a cake (which I made and decorated - I know, not that technical, but he loves dinosaurs....he knows his name and the number 4....what else could he want?)
Happy Birthday Roger!!!
Here's the Crepple Recipe

Mix 2 eggs, 2 1/3 cups of milk, 1/3 cup of oil. Then add 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt. Mix all together until smooth.

Heat griddle. Pour batter on like you would for pancakes (spray or butter the griddle) . Turn over and cook on both sides when the time comes.

Serve with syrup, fruit, jam, whatever.

This feeds me and the boys (when we have this, they eat A LOT of it (so much that I don't even get one until the 3rd or 4th round is cooked). When Todd is home, I increase this by 50%.

Test the consistency that you want. I usually will add just a little bit of milk to make it more thin, but do whatever for your liking.

3 comments:

Nate and Sum said...

Hey Loni! I absolutely love your header picture. What great missionaries you have! I am also going to try the Crepple recipe. They sound delicious.

Isaiah and Emily Smith Family said...

Loni - you are totally supermom!! After being home with my kids by myself for the last 3 months, with exceptions of the occasion weekend, I think I would take 2 more sassy girls then 2 rowdy boys!! Kaden alone causes so MUCH damage! I love them though - I may need some tips on how to keep a clean house and kids preoccupied!!

The Jones Fam said...

Thanks for introducing me to crepples, I can't wait to try them! Happy 4th b-day Roger!