When we found out that there was a kids' triathlon, we asked Michael if he wanted to do it. He not only accepted, but was excited about it. Roger wasn't old enough, so this was something that Michael was going to do on his own.
I knew that Michael could do the triathlon without too many problems. It was only a 100 yard swim, 3 mile bike and 1 mile run. The day before the triathlon, I worked with him on the transitions and told him what to do between each event. He practiced several times, and was very particular about making sure he got his sunglasses on for the bike ride.
The morning of the race, I wasn't quite sure of what we were going to do. It was a good 45 minute drive to the other side of Cleveland for the race, and we had to leave the house no later than 7:30 AM. Todd had worked the night shift at the hospital, "supposed" to get off at 7. If I didn't hear from him, I would just have to take all four boys by myself. I started backing up the car when Todd called to say he was on his way.
Then on the way to the race, there was an accident on the freeway, further delaying us getting to the race. Once we got to the race, Todd dropped Michael and I off to go register while he got the other boys out of the car.
For being so rushed, Michael did great. He listened to the instructions and got ready.
Michael swam very well, kept his face in the water. He swam with a lot more confidence than I ever have had at a race.

He did a good job getting ready for the bike, until it was time to put his shirt on. It was my fault, I should have either had him wear a racing belt or a bigger shirt. With his body being damp and his shirt fitting tightly, he had a hard time getting it on and unfortunately, since it was a USA sanctioned triathlon, he could not receive any outside help, meaning we could not touch him.
But he finally got things settled, and was off.
I ran alongside a short portion of the bike course (which was three loops, 1 mile each). Michael did really well, but at times he didn't realize the point of racing. He would peddle, but then he would put his feet up on the bar in the middle of his bike, enjoying the breeze and the ride. I had to shout to him to keep peddling the entire time.
![]() |
| T2 was good and quick |
He had great support from his brothers and dad
and he finally finished. I was so proud of him. It was not easy, and he did get very tired, got a side ache, but he kept pushing to the end. Came in a finishing time of 35 minutes.
Roger was so proud of him, as were all of us
Roger even got Michael an extra couple of drinks to get re-hydrated
Good job Michael....so proud of you buddy!
We spent the rest of the afternoon playing on the beach. It was perfect weather and allowed the boys freedom to play while Todd got some rest. I think the younger three boys were just so grateful that this was not an all day race like they are use to sometimes.















No comments:
Post a Comment