Friday, December 2, 2011
Sacrifice
Mikey is such a great boy, and even greater brother. Heavenly Father definitely knew what he was doing when he sent Mikey to be the first born of our family. He is very self-sacrificing while being very attentive to every one's needs. When I am not feeling well, he'll bring me a glass of water and ask if I need anything else. He's always the first to give up his toys so that his brothers can play with them.
The other day we went on a family bike ride (yes, the weather was nice enough for that). At one point of the bike path, the path goes right alongside the road, without any separation between the two but a faded painted white line.
Being the paranoid and cautious mother that I am (really, I am very paranoid but I try to not let my boys know that I am) I asked Mikey to ride on the outside of the path while I rode on the inside. He asked "Why", which he asks about everything, but not in a defiant way but in a wanting to understand the world around him sort of a way.
I told him that I would rather I get hit by a car than he get hit by a car.
He responded with, "Mom, I think it would be better if I got killed than if you got killed."
Now it was my turn to ask "Why" as I tried to understand the thinking of this seven year-old.
"Because, Mom, you take care of the boys, and who would take care of them if you died. So, I think it would be better if I died than if you died."
Wow.
Talk about self-sacrificing. And in reality, if it came down to it and he was given a choice, Mikey would make that sacrifice for his brothers.
I still made him ride on the outside though.
Labels:
Mikey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow. How did you respond to that? Hearing that, it makes me think of Mormon as a boy and how he was described as being sober. I don't know Mikey well, but that's the kind of stuff I imagined Mormon saying and doing as a young man. He is such a lucky boy to have you as a mother. : )
Post a Comment