Saturday, November 10, 2012

Never-Ending Halloween


I cannot be the only one that felt that Halloween this year was the Never-Ending holiday. It doesn't help that Halloween isn't my favorite holiday either.

Really, I'm not a fan of all the "scary" stuff, and giving my kids a bucket of candy is not high on my priority list.


We did the traditional pumpkin carving, which can be fun but nerve racking at the same time.




Hate having the boys with knives, but I do enjoy the toasted pumpkin seeds afterwards.

Because of the effects of Hurricane Sandy that we felt here, Trick-or-Treating was postponed in our city until Sunday. I was not thrilled about this for T-or-T would not be something I would categorize as a "Sabbath-worthy". I was sad to break this to my boys for they had been so excited to go T-or- T, but I knew that they would understand our decision to opt out (When we went to the zoo Roger told me that we shouldn't go to the zoo for they were open on Sunday....love his determination to support the right, but if we only frequented places and stores that were closed on Sundays, I'm afraid we'd be left to Chick-fillet and Hobby Lobby).
I was able to find out that a nearby town, that is in our ward, was having their T-orT on Saturday. With that I joined my friends.
They have a soup pot-luck before the T-or-T in their garage before everyone sets off.

Roger was especially excited to be able to go with his friend Carter. Mikey (so I heard) talked my friend's ear off, and William hung out with Todd as they walked around in a group.
Where was I, you ask? Staying somewhere with Evelyn? Oh, no, I had Grant.
Grant can be very shy, add that and the fact that we had to wake him up when it was time to go T-or-T and you have a disaster waiting.

He cried and cried. He did not want to go get the candy, even though most people sat at their driveways to hand out candy. He wanted me to do it.
It would have been easier to just quit and go home, but I knew it wasn't what was best. It wasn't about the candy, but the stretching that Grant needed to do. I had to physically force him up some people's drive-ways. He cried and looked away as people put candy into his bucket (looked extremely ungrateful). But by the time we were done, he was going to the door willingly, and was allowing me to be a step (not two though) behind him. It was a stretch for him, but I was glad he did it.
This year for Halloween we did an Avenger's Theme.....well, at least the 3 older boys did.

Mikey was IronMan, for he is very smart and always figuring things out
Roger was Thor, for he is honest and strong

William was Captain America

for he was small, but a true American hero
Grant was to be the Hulk, for reasons that are obvious, but he refused to be the Hulk for he wanted to be a White Ninja.

We went along with that for we figured that having the fake Hulk was not worth having the real Hulk around for (if you've ever seen Grant mad, you know what I am talking about)
Evee was a beautiful girl (as always)


and a bee

Glad that holiday is over!

No comments: