We were thrilled with Evee being able to sleep through the MRI. We felt that it was only through God's will that it was able to happen. But I had a feeling that God wasn't going to change everything else to fit my desires.
We got done with the MRI around 8:30 Thursday morning. Evee had several appointments at the hospital that day and with my mom being at my house with the boys, we were just going to stay at the hospital. After leaving the MRI, I emailed Dr. N, the Neurologist, telling her that Evee had successfully slept through the MRI. I also informed her that we would be at the hospital most of the day if she wanted to talk to us about the results.
After a couple of appointments, I had gotten a reply from Dr. N requesting for us to meet her at 1.
Todd and I were incredibly grateful for how the MRI had gone, but we were also nervous about what it was going to show. We both felt pretty sure that Evee had hydrocephalus, we just weren't sure of how severe it was, if it was needing surgery or not. The last several days I had felt that I had started to accept the fact that my baby would need surgery.
We got to our appointment with Dr. N. She is a Fellow, meaning she had finished her Residency but was in training for the specialty that she was specializing in. We made some small talk as we talked about how wonderful Evee is - something that is quite easy to do in her presence. Finally Todd asked her how the MRI looked. She then asked us to have a seat.
When Todd had left the MRI room to fetch Evee's bottle, he had gotten a quick glance of the scan on the screen. He told me later that it didn't look good, but that he didn't know enough to be able to determine how bad it was.
Dr. N told us that Evee's ventricles were very enlarged. They use to be in the larger part of "normal" range, now they are severely enlarged in the out of "normal" range. About this time Dr. G, Dr. N's attending, came in. They went on explaining the MRI. The radiologist hadn't officially read it yet, but the results were so obvious that they didn't need the official read-out.
Dr. N and Dr. G were giving us a lot of information, but I hadn't heard what the plan of action was, so I asked, "Does this mean that she needs a shunt?" The doctors were a little caught off guard with my bluntness, but replied with "Something like that".
They took us into an office to show us pictures of the MRI, and sure enough, those ventricles were HUGE.
Dr. G recommended that we get into the Neurosurgeon soon. I asked him what the timeline looked like, if this surgery was something that needed to be done in the next few weeks or the next few months. He let me know that it needed to be done soon.
We now have two appointments with two different Neurosurgeons. The Neurologist had helped us set up the appointment with one, but after doing some research, this Neurosurgeon does not specialize in Pediatrics. Though our Neurologist told us that as far as Brain Surgery goes, this shunt is the "best" and "least invasive" of all surgeries, I keep telling myself that it's not a big deal of who we have do the surgery, for like the saying goes: "it's not brain surgery". But then I remember that it actually IS brain surgery. We found a Pediatric Neurosurgeon (though she works for the competing hospital) who we are seeing on Thursday. Honestly I think we will be going with her.
Though we should have left that appointment with the Neurologists feeling devastated, Todd and
I felt very peaceful and calm. We both agreed that it felt right and
that the surgery needed to be done.
Todd said that we needed to
remember that feeling of peace, for we will second guess and stress over
the whole thing, but in that moment we felt the Spirit of the Lord
speck peace unto our souls.
Monday, December 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and your sweet Evee. I hope that things go well. Love you!!
So amazing that she was able to sleep through the MRI. What a huge blessing....Hoping things go well for her in the upcoming days. Keep posting with updates!
Post a Comment