My friend Bonnie has 5 kids. One of her boys, who is super cute and I absolutely love, has autism. While in discussion, she mentioned, "Even though I have 4 healthy kids, it still is hard to have one that is not".
I found this very interesting for I feel the same way.
Many years ago, when I was more left-brained than I was heart-centered and understanding, I would have looked at my situation and said, "Well, at least you have 4 healthy kids".
But guess what, it doesn't work that way.
Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly grateful for my 4 healthy kids. I realize what a blessing it is and how fortunate we are. In fact now, more than ever, I understand what a blessing it is and do not take it for granted.
But that doesn't change Evee's situation.
It doesn't matter if you have 1, or 5, or even 19 kids. Guess what, you love each and every individual child, and each of them are important to you.
Regardless of the other children I have, I still have an unhealthy child. And that sucks. I feel just as badly about my unhealthy child as does a parent that it is their only child. Yes, I have my other children that I can find comfort in, but it does not lessen my love for Evee.
In a weird way, I am grateful for this experience for what it has taught me.
I am starting to understand the parable of the 1 and the 99.
If you remember, this is the scriptural parable told by Christ (can be found in Matthew 18, starting in verse 11 and Luke 15:3). Christ tells of the scenario of a man that had a hundred sheep and found that one was missing. Discovering that one was missing, he left the 99 to find the 1. When he found the 1, he rejoiced.
I use to read this and not quite understand how a shepherd could risk loosing 99 to look for just 1. Then I couldn't understand why the shepherd would rejoice over the 1, when he had 99 faithful ones.
If you look at this story there are things that do not make sense. You think of having 99% of anything, you would realize that you have a great percentage. You would gladly take 99% on a test and dare not complain about the 1% you got wrong. If you got 99% of your income (rather than the reduced percentage because of taxes), you would be thrilled.
But here is where I got it wrong. Christ wasn't talking about things, He wasn't talking about money, He wasn't even talking about sheep. He was talking about us. He was talking about the Sons and Daughters of God.
And guess what, regardless of how many people live, have lived, are ever to live, our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, love us. Each of us are special. They want us to return to Them. They want us to go to Heaven. Though They will be grateful and happy about those that make it to heaven, They will still mourn for the individuals that don't. This does not mean that They do not love those that were faithful, just as it does not mean that I am not grateful for my healthy children.
It just means that we are loved individually. God loves us. He loves us in spite of our shortcomings. He wants us to become better for He knows how it will help us.
God has not forgotten even one of his children. He works tirelessly for us. He has joy for every good choice we make and he has sorrow for every poor choice we make.
God loves us.
God loves me.
God loves every individual person.
God loves Evelyn...much more than I love her, and that is a lot.
Sunday, February 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love is such a beautiful thing. Thank you for this post! We love you guys!
Post a Comment