Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Trach Time


Evelyn was scheduled to get her trach put in on Tuesday, February 26th at 12:30 PM.
Todd had worked the night shift beforehand, and Evelyn had had the frightening experience of the night before, so needless to say I was ready to embrace the trach.
Around 11:00 AM an ENT Resident came into Evee's room to let me know that because the Surgery Rooms were all filled up with emergency surgeries, we wouldn't be able to have Evee's surgery that afternoon. I was currently on the phone with my boys, reading them a book, so I didn't ask too many questions.
When Todd got there half an hour later, he was not happy. He did not like the fact that Evelyn has been on the surgery list since Thursday, had an incident the night before, and still didn't get a trach.  I understood his frustration. When Evee quit breathing the night before, I was so scared. It was not a happy moment. I was nervous that it could happen again. Also, the night before a surgery is never fun. You go to sleep somewhat nervous for the next day your baby is going to be sedated and cut open. To go through that again is not fun at all.
The ICU doctor, Dr. Karen, kept coming in to check on Evee. I didn't think this was too strange for Dr. Karen is a wonderful and caring woman. But I did start to notice that Evee's color seemed a little "dusky", but otherwise she seemed great and enjoyed being talked to.
Around the time that Evelyn was scheduled to go in for surgery, her heart rate started to do some funny things.
One second her heart rate was 240 bpm, then a few seconds later it would go to 160 bpm. This had happened before, but shouldn't be happening now since she was on a medication. An echocardiogram was ordered on Evelyn, and sure enough, she was having tachycardia again.
Dr. Karen ordered for another dosage of the heart medication in hopes that it would help her heart get under control. This medication can have side affects if the patient has low-blood sugar, so just before giving the medication, Dr. Karen ordered for a glucose check.

This was not as easy as one would think. Again, her line was having problems. They were able to push things into her line, but were unable to pull anything back on the line. Dr. Karen got to work at putting an IV line through Evee's hand, which thankfully she was able to get to work. They checked Evee's glucose.
It was 24.
Now, these numbers don't mean much to me, for I don't understand them, but based on everyone's response, I understood it wasn't good.

Evelyn's heart rate continued to go really high and inconsistent. Dr. Karen used some wet cloths to try cooling Evee's body down, but nothing seemed to work.
After a couple of hours, the Cardiologist, Dr. S, called in for the "big dog" medication. After two dosages of that, her heart rate started to slow down a bit and become more consistent.
Dr. Karen said to me that this was all meant to be. It would not have been good for Evee to have gone into the operating room, especially with her glucose so low.
I felt the same, that Evee was being looked after by another source, a Divine one, but it has been interesting to see even medical professionals see and acknowledge that Evee has been protected by someone/thing outside of their hands and control. Dr. Karen mentioned many times that even though Evee was smiling that morning, she hadn't seemed as active and something seemed off. Dr. Karen knew something wasn't quite right and kept a closer eye on her until a problem manifested itself.

Evelyn went into surgery Wednesday morning.

While she was in surgery, Todd and I just hung out in her empty hospital room. They only had her for over 2 hours, but it seemed longer. When she came back she didn't look great, which at this point I was more prepared for. She was swollen and had a new hole in her body, but I did get to see her face.

And I will tell you, her face is beautiful.

No comments: