Every day, around the same time, my grandma would escape (for she did have 13 kids) to the bathroom for a few minutes. During this time, my grandma would put on make-up and "freshen up" in anticipation for my grandpa coming home from work.
This really impressed me, especially now being a mother and wife. When Todd and I were dating, I did my hair and make-up 90 percent of the time (minus the time we went camping with the Microbiology club, ya, we're nerds). But it seems that almost immediately after taking my wedding make-up off and putting away my wedding dress, I started only really doing my hair and make-up on Sundays. My family would tease me that Todd must really look forward to church for that is when I looked good.
![]() |
| Went from this |
![]() |
| To this |
Now that we've been married a little longer, I do put on make-up and do my hair more than once a week, but not by much. I've never been one that puts a lot of emphasis on that, and when you have several kids to take care of and a household to manage, it's amazing how low of a priority looking good becomes.
But upon hearing of my grandma's devotion, I've been very impressed to try to emulate her example. To me, it makes sense. How much more would my husband enjoy coming home to his beautiful wife, versus the woman in t-shirt and ponytail that looks like she just woke up, but in reality she's only gotten a few hours of precious sleep? But it's more than about how a wife looks physically, it's about the message the wife is sending to her husband.
I loved that my grandma saw my grandpa's homecoming each day as a special time. She made an effort to be excited about it, rather than just relived. And how encouraging were her efforts to my grandpa? Regardless of whatever stress and grief he got at work, he came home to someone that said, by word and deed, "Welcome Home! You are important to us!" Would not this promote a happier marriage?
I decided to challenge myself to follow my grandma's example. I have always tried to make the house cleaner (or seem that way) whenever Todd gets home from work, but that is not always what happens, and I can definitely make a greater effort. I am trying to look more desirable for when Todd gets home. My grandma didn't have humidity that frizzed out her hair, but that doesn't mean I can't try to tame it. I tried it for the first time yesterday, and even though my hair ended up in a bun for there was no controlling the fly-aways, I did put on make-up.
When Todd got home from work, one of the first things he said was that he liked my make-up. Then he asked what was going on. Yes, I wear it that infrequently.
I told him what I was striving to do, and it did help that he noticed. Most of all, I hope he notices the effort I am putting forth to make him more happy.
Todd is an incredible husband. He does so much for me and the kids. He works so hard at work, and he works as equally hard at home. He has been noticing my lack of energy and has been trying to take on even more.
The other day I got home from running errands with all the kids. The task of just carrying Evelyn and all of her bags inside was about enough to just overtake me. I was so grateful to see Todd's car in the drive-way. When I pulled up, I honked the horn to let him know we were home, hoping he would get the clue to come out and help us into the house.
Instead of being upset at being honked at, Todd came out and teased me. He said that my honk interrupted his prayer. When I honked he was in the middle of praying that I would be able to have more energy and that he would know how to help me more. I was so touched that he had not only been aware of my needs, but turned to God to help both me and him.
That is a man worth spending a few minutes putting on make-up so that I can tell him by my actions that he is important to me.


No comments:
Post a Comment