Friday, December 19, 2014

Piano Recital

My boys had their annual piano Christmas Recital. They each played two songs. Before playing their song, they went to the front of the room and spoke into the microphone. They stated their name and which song they were going to be playing.
Evelyn loves music, and gets even more excited when it involves her brothers. Whenever they practice the piano, she'll swing her arms around in a dancing fashion. When they are through practicing, she will cry and insist that they get back to playing the piano. It really is a wonder that we get anything done around here.

Mikey's second song was "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". If you don't know Mikey, you should know that speaking to strangers, especially groups of strangers, is not his strong suit. In fact, one of the reasons I first started considering homeschooling was that he was very socially immature, he wouldn't look at people or communicate with them.

Imagine my surprise, and joy, when I heard, "Hi, my name is Mikey. I am playing 'We Wish you a Merry Christmas'....fell free to sing along".   I couldn't believe it, but I loved it and tried to sing as loudly as I could to support him.

Roger is a very good pianist. He also enjoys making up his own music. He wrote an awesome song which he called, "High School Song", because it reminds him of how he thinks a high school dance would be.

When we first got to the recital, unknown to me, Roger asked his teacher if he could play his song. The programs were already printed up and there were many numbers. His teacher told him that he couldn't play it this time.

When you give a kid a microphone, apparently you give them power. When Roger went up to introduce and play his second song, he said, "My name is Roger. I will be playing two songs. the first is .... and the second is one that I wrote, 'High School Song'." He then went on to play both songs.

Next time the O'Neil's will not be allowed to use microphone.


1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Hahah! Oh these last two posts had me laughing out loud! I just love your family. Thanks for sharing glimpses into your lives. I love learning from you how to be a better mother. You're awesome, Loni.