We had our Primary Program today. It is one of the best Sundays of the year for the entire Sacrament meeting consists of kids singing songs, rattling off their memorized parts, or shyly blowing their words into the microphone, and trying to not fidget while they sit in front of the congregation.
I was so proud of my kids. They did awesome. Grant read his assigned part, William and Mikey each had an assigned part that they were to add in their own thoughts. Roger was assigned to give a 1-2 minute talk. He was assigned to talk on agency, and wrote the talk without any help from me. I was pleased with how it went.
For me, the best part of the program was watching Evelyn. No, Evelyn was not in the program, but because her brothers were, her excitement was amazing. She loves music, and to have the music sung by kids, which included her brothers, was almost like a dream come true. When she made eye contact with Roger while he was singing, she started to go nuts. She was nodding her head in rhythm, smiling, dancing, throwing signs, and bouncing with excitement. She got insistent with a couple of signs, demanding that Roger reply or mimic, to which he tried to discretely do. I don't know how discretely this was, but compared to how "all-out" I've seen Roger, he was quite tame. I couldn't be mad at Roger for signing back to Evee for the joy that she had was worth it. Plus, I figured Roger was in the corner and with about 50 kids, not many other people would notice.
At the end a member of the Bishopric got up and spoke. He said something like, "I don't know how many of you noticed Roger on the end. At first I thought he had Terrets. But then I looked over and realized that he was communicating with his sister, that he was showing love to her." He went on to point out that the purposes of families is to help each other, to show love, to bring joy. Roger was demonstrating love to his sister.
This may or may not have caused Todd or I to shed a few tears.
I love to see the charity that my kids have towards one another. Watching the sibling interaction is one of the best rewards of having children.
Here is Roger's talk he wrote:
"I would like to give a talk about agency. Agency is the ability to choose what we want to do. Everyone can choose what we want to do. We should choose the right so we can have everlasting life. We must make good choices. When I make good choices, I have a good feeling like the time I cleaned out the messy garage. I did not want to do it at first, but when I was done, I had a great feeling. When I do good things, I get good feelings."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment