Friday, December 7, 2007

Bad Mom



In attempts of being a "good mom", I took my kids on a tour of the local post office. I should have known better, since it was going to be occurring during Roger's nap time, but alas, I signed up and went anyhow.


Upon arriving to the post office, I tried taking Roger out of the car. He wanted to take his toy inside, but I refused. It has snowed here recently, and is bitterly cold. So, there I am in the parking lot, with a baby and two little boys freezing, trying to get Roger to be "reasonable" so we could go inside.


During the tour, which Mikey enjoyed, but I think was a little too old for Roger, Roger spent the time hopping and entertaining himself other ways. While in the big warehouse, a spark came to Roger's eyes as he realized it would be a fun place to run. I saw this and before he could get too far, I grabbed him and had him sit on the floor. Of course he cried, and there I stood with my 3 children looking like I was had no clue to what I was doing (and I don't). After the tour I had many mothers utter to me something about how challenging it is with kids so young, and how I have my hands full, all while I was silently thinking up a plan of how I could get back at Roger (That's just a joke, I'm not seriously that mean).


When I got home I collapsed on the couch, and wondered what on earth had tempted me to take my boys into public. I will soon forget about this incident, and try to venture out again, you would think I would learn. But I guess reality is, 90% of the time, they do behave in public, but I don't notice or realize it because there are no problems, but once they do misbehave, I think to myself "never again". Thank goodness my memory is short, and just for now, I'm not going to attempt to be a "good mom", I'm just going to attempt to be my boys' mom.

4 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

You are definitely not a bad mom, but you are a brave one! I can't seem to get the motivation to take Jaylee anywhere lately, poor girl. We struggle to just get out of the house. I wanted to go to the library today but she didn't want to wear anything but a tank-top and her white shiny church shoes.....so we ended up staying home. Thanks for sharing the story! I love hearing what other Mom's are going through.

Natalie Buchkovich said...

We need to have those expeiences every once in awhile so that we can appreciate the good ones. But like you said, it's a good thing our memories are short.

Natalie Buchkovich said...

I am assuming that you took that picture of William because that is the only time you have seen him cry?!?1

Terra said...

you are more brave than I am. I refuse to go to the post office for stamps with my kids let alone for a tour. We went over a month without stamps until I finally remembered on a Sat morning to get up and go kid free. I've signed up for those trips before where I've left thinking, "why did I just do that to myself?". Hopefully we can all keep each other sane when we go caroling!