Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Now prepare yourself ... do not get jealous ('cause I would be jealous too). We have live-in help!!! I know, exciting and amazing!!! But I do have to say that the reality is not as awesome as the dream. The help isn't as helpful as I had wished or expected.

There are a lot of demands put on me. For example, we agreed to provide shelter, which when it's off work hours, the help actually contributes more to messes than anyone else. We provide food, which sometimes can be expensive and also the demands of having to provide and prepare at least 3 meals a day can be overwhelming. I furnish all the rides and recreational activities (I agree, maybe I should have paid a little more and gotten someone a little less demanding and more independent). Unfortunately I didn't negotiate an hourly wage, but a flat salary so of course I'm being taken advantage of, the help isn't quite as effective as it should be nor working as long as I had thought. And I forgot to negotiate a contract on how long I would be employing this help, so I'm starting to feel as though there is no way out.

I actually heard a story of a woman who hired a live in help, but soon found that the girl she hired was a nightmare. Then, after being pushed to the limits she tried firing the girl, but soon found out that she had to give the girl a 2 week notice and had to allow the girl to live in her home because of the law!!! The girl then held the woman and her family hostage in their own home, bringing in and taking out whatever she pleased.

But, I guess my situation isn't that bad, not yet anyhow. I really shouldn't complain, I know that any help is help and I should be so grateful and realize how blessed I am. There are some perks to my live-in help.

For one, payment may feel like it's expensive, but the rewards that I receive in return are quite amazing. Second, even though I do hear a lot of complaining, my help is quite complimentary to me - knowing that I love to hear the words, "You is a princess." Third, it allows me to be able to say that I have more friends and am continually making more. Fourth, it gives me just one more person (or more) to hug and love.

So even though they are usually more work than help, I really am grateful for my live-in help, and I would definitely recommend getting some for your self if you are able. Here are some of the tasks that they do:
Grab things out of the cupboard for me
Feed the baby
Cook
Clean the toilets -I know, very disturbing, I'm not quite sure it's worth it, but they've got to learn sometime, and why not while they're willing?

Play with the baby

Sweep my floor (in Ohio vacuums are called sweepers and vacuuming is sweeping)

Test out the sturdiness of my dishes

Bring in the trash cans - which he will actually do for neighbors and strangers - he's obsessed

6 comments:

Natalie Buchkovich said...

What helpful boys you have! They are darling!! You need to let them come stay with me so they can help me out!!!

Amber said...

Cute! Too cute! What adorable boys you have! I seriously wished we lived closer so our kids and WE gals could play sometime.
Take care of your prego-self!

The Jones Fam said...

What great helpers you have! I acutally wish I could get my little helper to do a little bit more around the house. Every time I ask her lately she tells me, "You do it Mom." I think I may need to talk to her about her attitude :)

Tara said...

Your stories crack me up. It's nice that your boys want to help (whether it really is helpful or not).

jen said...

I was jealous. And once I figured out what you meant I was still jealous! So cute!

Katie said...

Loni!! I love your blog! Thank you SO very much for watching my kids on Monday, what a blessing that was! Our blog is: katienluke.blogspot.com