My dad was kind enough to fly my family out so that we could go to Grandpa's funeral. I originally assumed that I wouldn't go out for it, but was sure glad that I was able to. I got to mourn, celebrate Grandpa, and see a lot of the family members I love, and even those that I don't :)
My uncle Dan that lives on the ranch that was once my grandpa's has big rooms with bunk beds. My family stayed in one room. My boys and I got in late the night before the funeral. It was a lot of fun sleeping in bunk beds with my family.
The viewing was sweet, yet surreal. I hadn't been too sad that Grandpa had died, mostly because Todd had said when we last saw him that he was not showing good signs of health. I had been prepared with the knowledge that he wouldn't be living much longer. When I came into the viewing and saw Grandma, I started crying. I was sad that she would have to live without Grandpa. But she is a strong woman, she will do well.
The funeral was beautiful, and packed. My grandpa was a great man who lived in the small town of Randolph for his entire life. He had had quite the influence on many people during his life, and at his funeral, a lot of people came to show their respects and love.
The night before my grandpa had died, my mom was visiting my grandpa and grandma. She had previously felt very strongly that she needed to visit her parents that weekend, and she was good at following that inspiration.
Before going to bed, my mom was talking to my grandparents about funerals. My grandparents started talking about what they would like at their funerals. Deciding to seize the moment, my mom got out her phone and documented all of their wishes.
Early the next morning, my mom was awakened by my grandma who said that my grandpa wasn't feeling well and wanted to go to the hospital.
My mom went into their bedroom to help my grandpa get out of bed. As my grandma was getting ready, my grandpa suddenly had a heart attack. I am glad that my mom was there with my grandma during this traumatic time, ensuring that she wasn't all alone.
After the funeral, we walked up the hill to the burial. We had gotten balloons and wrote messages to my grandpa
and after singing a hymn, we let the balloons go up toward heaven.It was an amazing sight
Roger is (obviously) named after my grandpa, so I of course we had to get a picture with him
And of course my brother Roger is named after my grandpa and Colton's first name is Roger as well
My mom had a brother, named Roger that had died at birth. There are a lot of Rogers
After the burial, the members of my grandpa's church had made us a lunch at the church. They're service was very much appreciated.
Roger ate a plate, then the effects of traveling and staying up late had hit him
When it was time to clean up, we even moved him into the foyer and somehow, he stayed asleep in a very uncomfortable position.
The next day we got to spend some time with my grandma
And gave her lots of love
And we rode horses down at the ranch
All around, a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment