Friday, September 17, 2010

I Dunno

After putting my children in the corner for misbehaving, like most parents I will discuss why they got their punishment. This can be like pulling teeth at times, but is very necessary for the discipline process.

William has been sent to the corner many times and when asked afterwards why I sent him there, he will reply with a very sweet and pathetic, "I dunno".

I have always just assumed that maybe William is just not that bright...I mean, more that he's just not old enough to remember what happened a few minutes ago. So, I usually explain to him what happened, have him apologize and give me a hug.

The other night William deliberately disobeyed me, I mean DELIBERATELY, and with those kind of actions, discipline is necessary. So, to the corner he went.
When his time was up and I asked him why I had sent him to the corner he replied with the usual, "I dunno".

WHAT!!!! I just realized that he has been playing me as the fool! I was the one that was not very bright to see that he knew darn well what he had done wrong, but by not fessing up to his actions, he was holding onto his pride and not expected to change (maybe I'm reading way too much into this).

I told him that he needed to continue standing in the corner until he could remember what he had done. Sure enough when the time came, he miraculously remembered.

2 comments:

The Andra Family said...

That sounds ohhhhh too familiar.

Amber said...

I love this post! It's nice that going back to the corner helped jog his memory :)