1. Married my best friend
2. Went Skydiving
3. Made my own comforter for my bed
4. Had 4 boys
5. Broke a bone - sternum
6. Homeschool my boys
7. Qualified for Boston
8. Painted my kitchen cabinets
9. Lived in Ohio, Utah, New York and Iowa
10. Had a homebirth
11. Learned how to play the piano
12. Got a degree in Microbiology
13. Ran 7 marathons
14. Had a drunk person cut my hair
15. Played soccer in high school
16. Taught two of my boys how to read
17. Got married in the Nauvoo Temple
18. Learned how to swim
19. Was a Cheerleader, Varsity Head
20. Passed out at the finish line
21. Ventured with my fellow 19 year-old roommate to New York City for a weekend and never did get lost
22. Did a Half-Ironman
23. Ran down the switchbacks from Machu Picchu with some locals in Peru
24. Kicked in the face by a horse
25. Been to Africa, Israel, South America, Australia, Russia, and more
26. Rode my bike from the Sacred Grove in Palmyra, New York to the Temple in Kirtland, Ohio
27. Play on a soccer team now
28. Ran 28 miles in celebration of turning 28 years
Originally Kara, my running partner, was supposed to do a big chunk of my 28 mile run with me on Saturday, but she got an IT band injury and cannot run very far/hard right now. I had been wanting to run 28 miles, but without Kara, I wasn't sure of what I was going to do. There is a local running group that meets on Saturday to do about 10 miles, so I decided that I could run with Kara, then run with the group, then finish up whatever else I needed to do.
I met with Kara early Saturday morning at a local metro-park running/bike path. We ran 8 miles. It was really nice, not too cold, but a little icy on the path and still a little dark, making it hard to see. We ran 4 miles from our cars, then 4 miles back. I was planning on making it back to my car to get some more water and gels, but the running group approached us about 500 yards from our cars. I decided it would be better to just run with the group than to run by myself.
I met a lady named Chris. She was cute, sweet, and as old as my mom but she still had speed. While the group was only running 10, she offered to run 13 with me. I really did appreciate her. She was pleasant and asked me a lot of questions. She had never had any children and was shocked to find out that I had four. We went about 6.5 miles out, stopped and admired the waterfalls, and headed back.
Running back with Chris turned to be more eventful. At one point she slipped on the ice, tried to catch herself, then finally accepted that she was not going to be able to catch her balance and did an awesome "Superman" landing. She didn't really get hurt, and even though it looked hilarious, I never like to see people older than me take a spill.
Because I wasn't able to make it back to my car before running with Chris, I only had the water that was left in my water bottle, not even 8 oz. I was getting really thirsty, but I tried to just endure. About 3 miles left of the 13 I was feeling dehydrated. I felt as though my blood was made of pudding and I was feeling lightheaded. I grabbed some (white) snow off the side of the path and tried eating it, then I filled my water bottle with snow. I don't know why I filled my water bottle because it's not like the snow is going to melt while in there. My hot watered drink freezes and has ice chunks in it by the end of the run, but I guess I'm an optimist. I continued running but would have to take a mouthful of snow every once in awhile to get some fluid in me.
Chris and I finally made it to the car. I thanked her then went to my car and guzzled some fluid and gel. I only had a little more than 8 miles left. 8 miles is nothing but after having run 20, it was going to be a little challenging. I knew I could do it, but I also wanted some support from my family. I called Todd. I asked him if he wouldn't mind driving out to where I was running and cheer me on a little bit. He agreed.
I started running, the same road I had run the last 20 miles on, feeling like I was running so incredibly slow. I looked down at my watch and was surprised to see that I was running 9 minute miles. That was incredible, especially since I wasn't trying to go fast and that the snow and ice was making my run more like a trail run. I was thinking that I would probably make it to the 4 mile turnaround before Todd got down there. I know first hand how much work it takes to get the kids into the car. I was surprised to see him come up behind me after running only 2 miles.
Todd parked at the first parking spot and the kids all jumped out (except for Grant). It was so good to see them and they were so excited to see me. I asked Todd if anyone was wanting to run with me and he said that they had said it was too cold. William got to me first and I asked him if he wanted to run with me. He gave me an enthusiastic "Yes" and we headed off.
William is such a natural runner and it was great to have him there with me. He kept pretty good speed, 15-16 minute pace. I was nervous with him running on the ice, so I held on to the hood of his jacket, but he never did slip. It was great having him there with me. He gave me so much joy and strength. After half a mile he started to wear down. We walked until we met up with Todd, who had driven on ahead.
When we reached Todd, Mikey and Roger jumped onto the running path and William went with Todd into the car. Roger had brought along Joey and we all were running. 15 seconds into their running, Mikey and Roger slipped on the ice and fell on their bottoms. They slipped right behind each other. It was hilarious and they were good sports about it. After that I gave them pointers on how to avoid the ice or how to run on it if you had to. They didn't fall after that.
Mikey and Roger were so much fun to have with me. They talked and talked. I guess in the car Todd had asked if they wanted to train for their Ironman, Mikey responded with, "I hate Ironman.......I only like Ironkids". He then told Todd, "After my birthday....when it gets warm....I'll train for Ironkids". As we were running and having such a great time Mikey said, "I think we need to run every day" and Roger asked, "Can we run with you all the time?"
The boys kept a pretty good pace, not really slowing down at all. They helped me get to a good pace, which after having to slow down for William, my legs were aching (going slower does hurt more) so it did feel better. I had such a great time talking with my boys and being with them.
After awhile I asked the boys if their hands were warm enough. They had their winter coats on, but no gloves. They responded that their hands were a "little cold". Luckily I wear two pairs of thinner gloves while running, so each boy got a pair. We started running again and Roger reached his hand towards me and said, "Here Mom, hold my hand so it can make your hand warm." Such a thoughtful little boy.
Soon afterwards my boys were getting tired and started walking. I walked with them until we caught up with Todd again. I was proud of my boys, they ran about 2.5 miles!
I wanted to have Grant run with me for a little, little stretch, but because he fell asleep in the car, I decided it was best to just let him be.
I ran the remaining 3 miles by myself. It wasn't too bad. Don't get me wrong, it was hard and long, but not unbearable. Seeing Todd and my boys had given me such incredible strength. My morale was refreshed. I ran the remaining three miles without even putting in my headphones.
I got to the end and was disappointed to find that I was still 2/10 of a mile short of 28 miles. I considered just not worrying about it, but then I decided that 27.82 miles is NOT 28 miles. I ran past the parking lot entrance and did the required amount. When I finished, I finished AT 28 miles. I did it! That is the farthest I have ever run, to date. It felt good to be done, but I was glad I did it, and so grateful that Todd and my boys came.
I went home, showered (I smelled just a little bit) and stretched. Then my good friend Missy had offered to watch my kids so Todd and I could go out, so we dropped the kids off with her. Todd and I went and ate and really enjoyed being able to talk and be alone.
This morning Todd had to go to early morning meetings at church, so I didn't get to see him too much. In our family we have big birthday breakfasts where we put a candle in the birthday person's breakfast and sing. I was a little disappointed that it was Fast Sunday today, but then remembered that I love Testimony meeting, so I guess it works. We ended up breaking our fast a little early and having waffles for an after church meal.
Todd let me take a nap, with this angel
which was much needed. Then we had dinner and cake and presents. For the first time in a long time, I did not make my own birthday cake. I was going to, but I was in charge of a PTA Valentine's party on Friday in which everyone brings a dessert or side dish to share. When it's time for us to clean up, there are always several plates and dishes that haven't been taken and we have to decide what to do with it. Roger was with me and saw this pink cake from the grocery store that hadn't even been opened. He asked if we could take it home. Not really wanting it, but wanting Roger to make some choices of his own, I told him he could, only if he was in charge of carrying it and bringing it home. He did an awesome job and got the cake to our house without any injuries. I decided to use it for my birthday cake and that I'll make my own cake later this week or for Valentine's Day.
After singing and blowing the candles out, we had to re-light the candles and sing again....FOUR more times. Grant had insisted on blowing the candles and so all the boys got a turn. 
Then I opened my presents. Last night Roger had found a picture in a frame of LeNae and put it in bag and had that be my present. All day today Mikey has been obsessing about what to get me for my birthday. I told him that all I wanted was a picture drawn by him. Roger asked Todd if they could go around to the neighbors' houses and ask them if they had anything really cool to give their mom because it's Sunday and we don't shop on Sunday. Todd had gotten me gifts that he found off a "Triathletes Wish List". My mom sent me an ABC scrapbook she had made. But I am convinced my mom hates me....why else would she include in my package all these little red streamer things!?!!!
Talk about an annoying mess that kids just love! They go everywhere and you cannot vacuum them up or else you would destroy your vacuum, so you have to pick them up one at a time!
5 comments:
Happy Birthday. I know your mom loves you, i stopped by her house the day she was making your ABC present and she was so proud.
hmmmm. #14, yeah!
k seriously loni. i got tired just reading your list! first of all, had no idea you got married in the nauvoo temple! and you lived in IOWA? how has this not come up? that will definitely be on our list of VT convo next week. oh no... just realized i haven't emailed you my schedge yet. oops. also on the list of things to talk about: your world travels, getting kicked in the face by a horse! (ouch) and 28 miles? are you kidding me? can't wait!
Of course Roger found a picture of LeNae and felt that was sufficient of a present, like she is a celebrity....doesn't he know not everyone is obsessed with Lenae as he is :) I am just jealious, I did like his idea of going to the neighbors what a righteous and creative kid. Gotta love mom and her "fun" and creative gifts....
Happy Birthday my dear! Your list is impressive- but it doesn't hold a candle (birthday pun) to the amazing woman you are. Those are truly incredible THINGS you have done, but you are surely a virtuous, powerful and lovely woman. Glad you get to share your passion with your kids- you inspire me in many ways! Love ya!
Post a Comment