I do not know what has happened!
It is pretty much a miracle!
Mikey is talking to people!
Mikey has always been shy and not very vocal. Even as a toddler he was very quiet. I would think that he just didn't understand things or was a little slow, but then he would suprise me with something he would say or do. There have been only a few people, adults and children included, that he would talk to. I would ask him things and he would ignore me. I was nervous for him. What was wrong? I was really shy growing up, and I grew out of it...when I was a teenager. I didn't know how to open him up to people.
But since one night that it was Mikey's turn to sleep with me and we had a really engaging conversation, Mikey has opened up to almost everyone.
The first instance was the next day we were at Costco. I left the boys at the cart as I walked down the aisle to pick up something. I came back and Mikey told me, matter of factly, "Mom...I said 'hi' to that man, but he didn't say 'hi' back". My jaw about dropped to the floor. I have never known Mikey to do this. Being the teacher/parent that I am, I took a moment to explain that it is polite to respond to people when they are talking to you, pointing out that Mikey hasn't always done that in the past.
Little did I know the effect of that conversation.
Now wherever we go, Mikey is saying "Hi" to everyone. We go down the hallway, "Hi......Hi.......Hi......Hi.....Hi" He is striking up conversations with the lady at the library.
He has never been known as one to talk on the phone. I could never get him to talk to my parents on the phone, not even to say "I love you". When I had been out of town and called to check in on him, he still didn't talk on the phone. He'll put the phone by his ear, then look at me and ask if he could get off.
My mom called the other day and Mikey talked to her for a good 5 minutes! I cannot even describe how amazing this is.
I really am not sure exactly what caused the switch. Was it the engaging conversation with me one night? Was it the discussion that it isn't nice to ignore people? Is it just because he is getting older? I think it's probably a combination of all plus more. Whatever it is, I am so grateful. Mikey has been much more open and expressive, which I have loved.
Now I need to talk to him about Stranger Danger.
No comments:
Post a Comment