Sunday, March 13, 2011

Big News

Grant no longer has his Blankie!!!!
This is big, big news. Grant loves his blankie, cannot sleep without it, while sleeping he will curl the strings around his fingers and will also throw it around hitting anyone near him. He didn't loose his blankie because he wanted to or he misplaced it, I still have it, he lost his blankie because of his stubbornness.
Here's what happened:
While playing, Grant his William with a toy, intentionally, in the face. I asked Grant to apologize, he refused so he was sent to the corner.

After being in the corner an appropriate amount of time, Grant still refused to apologize.

After many other disciplinary tactics, Grant still refused. I questioned if he knew how to say "sorry', or maybe if he just didn't understand me, but then he said, "No 'ay 'orry William". Dude, Grant, you just lost your out of this mess.

I finally decided to tell him that he was not getting his blankie back until he apologized. He still refused.

For the rest of the day he seemed very okay with his fight that he would not apologize and that it did not affect him to not have his blankie. When it was time for bed, Grant was asking for his blankie. I reminded him that if he wanted it, he would have to apologize. He turned his back to me and went to sleep. Later that night he did get desperate. He went into the kitchen, found a ziplock bag with muffins in it and brought the bag into bed -not to eat the muffins, but to use the zipper part as a substitute for his blankie. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
I decided that since he was choosing his pride over his blankie, that it was time for him to get rid of the blankie altogether. It's been a week now and so far it has been pretty good. We even flew home from Utah without him having it, and we survived. I think it has even helped his mood. Sometimes when he would get his blankie he would get more mean and more demanding, acting more like a baby, but I will miss it because there were times he was so dang cute with it, he loved it so much, would get so excited whenever he found it. He does ask for it occasionally, especially when he gets tired. William reminded him the other night that it was because Grant didn't say "sorry". Immediately Grant said "Sorry" and looked at me for his blankie. I had to let him know that it was a little too late, his blankie was gone.

Sorry Grant, let this be a lesson to you, don't ever choose Pride over something very dear to you.

No comments: