Saturday, March 19, 2011

Go Big or Go Home

Here are some clues as to what race/event I signed up for:

1- It will take place on an island

2- It starts on Friday

3- Todd will be able to be with me for a portion of it

4- It may last up to 30 hours...no sleeping in between



Any ideas?



I signed up for the 100 mile Antelope Island Buffalo Run. Yes, I will be running ONE HUNDRED MILES!! Totally crazy, I know.


It all started when I first read Born to Run, it really is a great book and in reading it a person gets inspired to run, and to run far. After reading it, I promised myself that one day I would run a 100 mile ultramarathon. I was just thinking more in the future, say 5 years.

While in Utah, I did a lot of Ironman training with Carol and Kris - the dynamic duo that I run/train with whenever I am out there - they are awesome. During our first run of my visit (which happened to be a 20 miler) Carol and Kris were talking about their upcoming ultramarathon. True, when I had first heard that they were doing this (several months back), I looked it up online and was wishing that I could do it with them, but resolved that there was no way I could do it. Carol mentioned to me that I could totally do it, and even though it may slow my Ironman time, it would boost my mental confidence. I humored her, smiled, and thought to myself, "NO WAY!"

The next day Carol and I rode the Ironman loop, about 50 miles, then ran 7 miles. During the run Carol kept mentioning the ultra. She told me that registration was going to be closing in just a couple of days, so I needed to sign up now. I humored her...then thought about it for a few seconds, but then realized that the logistics just would not work.

The following day we were running 15 miles. Carol and Kris were both talking to me about running the ultra. When we got to the turn around spot, I was still full of energy, so Kris invited me to run an extra few miles to put our total up to 20 miles. The entire time he kept mentioning the ultra. I was resolved that I was not going to do it.

But then, ideas kept coming to me. I wanted to do it...but I didn't. I called Todd. I was sure that Todd would be against it. He hadn't seen me for a few days, he was missing me, he wasn't going to want to have me be doing even more training, he wasn't going to want to pay for another race, not to mention the travel to and from it. I knew he would be the voice of reason, he would inform me that I was crazy and that I should forget about it. Then I could tell Carol and Kris that even though I would love to join them, my controlling husband refuses to let me do it.

Upon telling Todd about the race, he got excited. "Heck Ya!" was his response. WHAT! No, Todd, do you realize what all this would mean? Do you know how much money it would be? Do you understand the preparations that would have to be made? Do you know all the sacrifices that would be made? Do you REALIZE how many miles this is?!?!?!!

Actually I shouldn't have been surprised by Todd's reaction, he too had read Born to Run and respected the Ultramarathons. Even though I had secretly hoped that Todd would tell me no, it got me excited to think that it may be an actual possibility. I told Todd that I would need him to pace with me, if possible, and he went to work seeing if he could switch shifts with other residents so that he could get work off that weekend. I was praying he could get off work because I really would need him as a pacers.

In 100 mile ultramarathons, after the first half of the race, the runners can have pacers, which are people that the runner has recruited to run with them. The pacers help the runner stay safe and sane. During these races, runners can get delirious or make poor decisions. The pacers can help even by suggesting that the runner hydrate more. I was incredibly happy when Todd was able to work some magic and get his shifts switched around.

I decided to consult my children, see if they were okay with this decision. I would be leaving them for the weekend, and would want them to understand why. Mikey's and my conversation went something like this:

Me: I'm thinking about running in a 100 mile race...what do you think? Should I do it?
Mikey: Ya!...I want to see how far you can run!
Me: Well, this would mean that after we go home to Ohio, we would be home for a couple of weeks, then Mommy and Daddy would go to Utah for the race while you and your brothers stayed with a babysitter.
Mikey: Who would babysit us?
Me: I don't know...maybe Linda
Mikey: Ya!!....What do you win?
Me: Well, instead of the normal medals, I would get a belt buckle
Mikey: A belt buckle?.....oh, I know why...because when you run so long long long, your pants start to fall down and you need a belt buckle to hold them up?

Exactly

I asked my mom if I was crazy to want to do the ultra, she responded in the affirmative. I asked her if she thought I should do it, to which she said, "If I could do it, I would....You can do it."

So I went online, filled out a form, submitted my credit card info, and signed up for one of the craziest things I have ever signed up for.

Linda is going to watch the boys for the first day, but then the boys get to have Todd's parents watch them for the rest of the weekend. I am so excited and happy about that. I know the boys will love it, and it makes me feel better knowing that the boys will be taken care of by someone that really loves them. I won't have to worry about them at all.

Thursday I fly out to Utah. Friday I start the race at noon, I then have 30 hours to finish the race. So by 6 PM Saturday, I should be done.

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

You are crazy and absolutely amazing! I wish you all the best luck and I'm sure you'll do great.

Natalie Buchkovich said...

I want to go be one of your pacers...crazy lady!! Good luck! I just heard about how wonderful that book was and it's on my list of library books! Have fun!

Melissa said...

holy crap! have "fun"? I have ZERO desire to run that far. EVER. Do you know Cory Reese? He changed his 50 miler to do the 100 too! And Darin Thomas will be there too. H-town represent! :) best of luck.

Cristie said...

Wow Loni! Way to go!

Dean and Rachel said...

WOW! You are amazing. GOOD LUCK...You are going to do GREAT