Sunday, July 3, 2011

Thumb Problems

Took the boys into the dentist for their bi-annual cleaning. I always get a little nervous for these appointments for even though I ensure that my boys brush their teeth, I feel like dentists want you to do better. And like everything else, the professional assumes that what they are telling you to do is of most importance, that it isn't that difficult to devote more time and energy to that which they are passionate about. Fortunately my kids' dentist is more laid back.
The dentist did have one concern...Grant's teeth. His thumb sucking has not helped his teeth at all. His top teeth poke out more than they should while his lower front teeth slant inward. The dentist stressed to me that Grant had to stop for it would ruin his jaw. Funny thing is that when I was younger I had the same problem.
I sucked my index and middle fingers. When I was three my mom told me if I quit sucking my fingers she would give me a Barbie, something that I was forbidden to get until I was 5 years old. I jumped at this opportunity and immediately quit and received my prized "Peaches 'n Cream" Barbie. A few short months later I was kicked by a horse, the trauma of which sent me back to sucking my fingers.
Some time after the accident my mom took me to a dentist to assess my dental injuries. Upon seeing me and my sucking on fingers habit, he told me that I was going to ruin my teeth if I didn't stop sucking my fingers. According to my mom, I immediately stopped.
Remembering how well it had worked on me, I asked the dentist to tell Grant that he needed to stop sucking his thumb. He didn't answer her one way or another, but afterwards we went and got the bitter nail polish and Grant was all on board.
Amazingly enough, Grant has quit sucking his thumb. This really is miraculous considering how much he use to have his thumb in his mouth. It would be like asking me to quit using my phone. At first he would forget, but once I said something he immediately removed his thumb. I have been so impressed with his self-control, I know it would be hard. One evening he was feeling sad and he expressed, "My thumb don't hurt" his way of saying that he wanted to suck his thumb. Since then he hasn't complained about not being able to suck his thumb. He really has done well. I am so proud of him. So glad that his braces will now only cost half of which they would've cost.

No comments: