Monday, October 17, 2011

Loving Parent?

Mikey: Mom, did you know that some parents think that their children are the most wonderful things

Pause as I try to not be offended

Me: You mean, parents like me?

Mikey: No....like parents that really think that their children are amazing

Did not realize that he felt that I was so indifferent to him

Though I really should be offended at this conversation, I am just grateful that I know and understand where it stems. We have recently finished the book Matilda by Roald Dahl, and in the first chapter of the story the author talks about how some parents are almost crazy in thinking their children are wonderful which leads to the contrast of the disinterest that Matilda's parents have in her.
Matilda is a book that I loved as a child, and read about 5 times even though it is a longer book. I found it very humorous, and as a often-neglected middle child I related to Matilda and loved her independence. I have such fond memories of spending afternoons reading about her absurd life.
Roald Dahl is also one of my favorite authors. He has written such gems as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach. He is witty and has a great imagination.
So, if you are looking for a book to read to your elementary aged child(ren), definitely try one of Roald Dahl's gems.

No comments: