Sunday, May 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Mikey


This was a big birthday year for Mikey, turning eight and getting baptized and all. I am so proud of his choice. We were happy that he was able to get baptized on his birthday, which will always be a birthday that he will remember. It was filled with going to church, seeing Grampy and Grandma O'Neil, and Bampa and Grandma Patti, getting ready for the baptism, the baptism, and of course the food after the baptism. With all the food prep that I did, I didn't end up making him a real birthday cake, but with all the leftover cupcakes and treats, I just could not justify having MORE cake in the house. We did put a candle in a cupcake for him though.
With his birthday being on Sunday, there were a few things that were a little different. First of all, though I hadn't said anything or encouraged him one way or another, Mikey decided that since it was Fast Sunday, he was going to fast. Previously I had talked to him about how we felt that when he turned 8, then he would be ready to start fasting just one meal on Fast Sunday. But with his birthday being on a Fast Sunday, I wasn't going to ask him to fast on that day. He remembered though, and was very excited to fast with us adults. The downside is that we didn't do our traditional yummy breakfast that we stick a candle in the food for the birthday child.
Prior to his birthday, Mikey asked if we could celebrate his birthday on May 7th. I asked him why and he told me that it was because he was getting baptized on his birthday and he wanted the focus to be on that. I was touched by how sweet that was...until I realized that he had an alternative motive. You see, when it's a child's birthday, I don't make anyone do their daily writing assignment (great thing about homeschool, a child's birthday is a school holiday). They also don't do writing assignments on Sundays. Mikey realized that he was being cheated out of a free day and wanted to make sure that he got his day off. I was quite impressed that he had thought of that so far in advance.
Mikey and Grandma Patti
Well, now I'm going to tell you some things about Mikey, who he is and what I love about him.
First of all, he is an incredible son. He is always very obedient. In fact, whenever he needs discipline, it's usually because he forgot something or didn't quite understand. He will be very hard on himself if he does something wrong, I'm usually not having to do much discipline, for he does it to himself, but rather I'm busy reminding him that it's okay to make mistakes and that I still love him. He does make my life much easier by the way that he is very obedient and always willing to help. He is such a model child, I'm a little concerned that maybe the other brothers may resent him for being so "perfect".
I do think that the brothers would be annoyed with Mikey, but he is such a good big brother. He is always looking out for his brothers. He helps me keep track of them, he helps them with things they need to do, things they need open. He sacrifices his wants and needs for them. He really is good to be mindful of them.
Michael and Mommy
When I was feeling sick with this pregnancy, Michael was such a sweetheart. During the first trimester, I was able to function for only a few hours in the morning, but about lunchtime I really struggled. There were so many days I would find myself on the couch just trying to cope. Michael would come to me and inform me that if I needed a drink or anything, that all I needed to do was ask him, he would get it for me.
Grandma O'Neil and Michael
Michael is quite left brained. He loves to look and read anything science or medical. He is logic-based with his thinking and reasoning. He has great math skills and loves the challenge of figuring things out. 
Lana and Michael
Michael likes to play games, as this goes great with his left brain. He recently has found a love to the iPod game, Plant vrs Zombies. He loves thinking about what are great combinations of plants for defending against the Zombies. Because I don't allow nor encourage a lot of electronic game time, Michael has come up with his own version of P vs Z. He has come up with his own plants and their pros and cons. The best part is that he has been making these plants out of paper, coloring them and cutting them out. This is the most artistic thing I have ever been able to get him to do. I have always tried to encourage coloring and such, but he would only do the required "work" then jump down and do something else. Now he is constantly in the crayon drawer, coming up with his newest plant.

Michael and Bampa
Michael is a very hard worker. I can give him a job, and he will do it, no complaints. It is amazing the chores and tasks that he is given that he is able to accomplish. I've had a lot of people express how impressed they were with his work ethic. The only problem is that he can be forgetful, and sometimes his work may be done, but is still a little messy with things put away, but not looking very neat.
Daddy, Michael, and Grampy
Forgetfulness is something that Michael deals with at times. He always has something on his mind, trying to figure something out, that he can be very forgetful. I lovingly think of him as the Absent-Minded Professor (love that old movie). I can ask him to retrieve something from upstairs, and he will come down in a bit totally forgotten what he was doing upstairs. Though we have been working on his forgetfulness, he usually has good intentions and is trying to get better at remembering things.

The Three Michaels
Michael is a very even-kill. He is usually very content. He does not usually display, or feel, strong emotions. He will be happy or he will be sad, but he's not too extreme, nor does he hold onto those emotions very long. Sometimes it can be difficult, like when giving him a gift he may not act overly excited, but it usually is a huge benefit for he doesn't complain, even when given the short end of the stick, which with so many younger siblings, this does occur from time to time.
There is one thing that does get Michael very excited....Evelyn. Just mention Evelyn, or any baby for that matter, and he perks up and is very excited. I get very little PS (Personal Space) for Michael is always trying to hug my stomach to talk or kiss Evelyn. 

Overall, Michael is such a wonderful child. The Lord knew what he was doing when he sent him to be the oldest and example in our family. He is a joy in our lives and makes everyone happier. He is always trying to do what is right, and does a good job at that.
We love you Michael!

No comments: