Got asked to leave a movie at the theater today. I have never been kicked out of a show, and we were given movie passes to come later, but it was a different situation. The reason were were asked to leave? Because our sleeping baby was too noisy.
After spending our only time together in hospitals and doctor offices, Todd and I finally were able to go on an actual date today. We were so excited, so thrilled. I even did my hair and put on make up. I didn't even wear my tennis shoes!
I had been very excited and awaiting to watch Les Miserables, for months excited. We sat down in our seats and waited for the show to begin.
We had brought along Evee because she is still young enough to just sit in our arms contently. Also, with all her health problems, I am not sure how comfortable I, nor the sitter, would feel with me being away from her.
We were halfway through the show and Evelyn was asleep.
With Evelyn's laryngmolacia, her breathing can be quite noisy. At times I'm not exactly sure about what to do. There have been times while in Relief Society I have contemplated about whether I should take her out of the room because her breathing is so loudly. But it is difficult for her loudness is not that she is being fussy or playful, but because she is breathing.
I had noticed that the people in front of us kept turning their heads, and to try help things I tried changing Evelyn's position in hopes that her airway may fall more open.
Soon enough someone with a flashlight came over to us. He was the manager and asked us if we could take our baby out.
We walked out of the theater and the manager said that when our baby quieted down we could go back in to the theater. I told him, not to try proving a point or in any form of argumentative way but more in an informational way, that it was just her normal way of breathing, that she had a condition that gave her noisy breathing. We were in the shadows by the doorway, but I did wonder how the manager would have reacted differently if he would have seen the scar on her head and the shunt protruding from the side.
Honestly, I do not blame him nor disagree with the people who complained. I do understand, she can be quite loud. I do understand that we cannot ask the world to change their lives, it is inconsiderate of us to think that everyone should be willing to "suck it up" for us.
Then why did I feel sad?
I wasn't offended at all. Again, I understood.
But I also was hit with the reality that I was looking at the rest of my life.
No, not the "I can never go to a movie again"
But rather that my life is going to be totally different now that I have a Special Needs child. There are things that I am going to do, endure, preparations thought out.
There is going to be a balance made of people being considerate of Evelyn's situation, and us being considerate of others because of Evelyn's situation. I do want people to be kind, and be willing to make sacrifices or adaptations for her. But I also want us, me, Evelyn, Todd, and the boys to be considerate of others and the impact Evelyn's disabilities would make on others. I do not want to be one of those Special Needs Advocators that wants to change the world for I do want my boys to learn to be considerate of everyone, whether or not a person has a disability, they are just as important as the next person.
But it still is a hard realization that this is what my future holds. Not that I am upset and am unwilling to step up to the challenge, just sad that everything is not going to be perfect.
But in reality, it will be just as God intended.
So, I guess it really will be perfect.
No one said that perfect is easy.
But Evelyn is perfect.
Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment