We finally have a night nurse and she started last night! I cannot tell you how nice it was to sleep the entire night through.
We did have a night nurse hired several weeks ago, and she came one night. She was fine, but I didn't hear from her until almost a week later, the day before she was supposed to be coming again. She claimed that she had some family changes that caused her to have to quit, but it came out that the real reason was that she was uncomfortable with the fact that we had a video monitor (not a recording monitor) on Evee while she was taking care of her. She claimed that none of her clients have ever required it (who are these people that have a complete stranger come into their home and take care of their non-verbal child with no supervision or accountability). I was frustrated that I still did not have a night nurse, but I did not want to compromise. If she did not feel comfortable with me having some sort of access to my child, then I did not feel comfortable with her watching my child.
The people I had interviewed had not been great, quality people, and though the night nurse I had originally hired was not a stand-out applicant, she was the best of who I had interviewed.
Talking about my night nurse is a huge side-tangent that I was not meaning to focus on, but I will just say that through the work of the Lord, I finally have been able to find 2 night nurses. I can honestly say that I felt guided by God in finding them, and I feel that they are both perfect for us and our family.
Back to what I intended to write about was Mother's Day.
My mom, who is a fantastic mother, use to dread Mother's Day when we were growing up. She said she always felt guilty for all her shortcomings. I don't know if the realization that everyone has shortcomings and that we are not required to be perfect has helped me, but I absolutely love Mother's Day.
Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays. It does help that I got to have my husband home and he was even able to go to church with me since he is usually going to other congregations in the area to help out. This morning I got a full-night's rest, then had time to spend with my babies in my bed since our church doesn't start until 11. While I was lying in bed, William came in all dressed in his suit, ready for church without any prodding from me.
It was so nice having Todd sit with us during Sacrament. The boys went up to the front and sang a song with all the other children for the mothers. The kids were all given a flower to bring back to their moms, and though I should have gotten four, I only got three. Mikey failed to bring a flower back to me. He told me that he gave it to someone else. I questioned who, and he said that he gave it to a girl his age. I was surprised, thinking maybe he was doing it as a romantic gesture, but then later found out that he did it because he noticed that she didn't have one. Just like Mikey, to make sure everyone else is taken care of first.
Todd took Evee during the rest of the classes at church, which was really nice. I teach Sunday School to the 12-14 year olds. During this class time today, William was previously assigned to give a talk in Primary. Todd stopped by my class and asked about William's talk. Whoops! I totally forgot about it and had not helped him prepare a talk. Not a good Mom point.
Without having a talk prepared, William was asked to bare his testimony. He did a good job, and mentioned mothers. He said, "I know that Mothers are good...even if they do bad things, they still are good". Hmmm.....next time I'll have the talk prepared.
The class for the women was amazing. There was a desert table set up for the women and a friend's husband gave the lesson. He did a really good job. One thing he mentioned was that growing up we probably all wanted to grow up to be a mother, but that the reality of it is probably not what we expected.
I have to admit, there are times when being a mom is not fun, it can be frustrating and even annoying. But all in all, this is what I want to do and it does bring me a lot of joy. What an amazing blessing it is to have children in my home, especially young children. The boys doted on me all day and keep saying how "beautiful" I am. Todd has done a great job not having me lift a finger (I have only suctioned Evee like 5 times today). But as nice as it is to be celebrated, the celebration is not why I love being a mom. I love being with these young, innocent children. I love seeing the world through their eyes. I love helping them, I love seeing them learn how to do something, learn to help themselves. I love their smiles, their laughs. I love their thoughts, their comments. I love them and who they are. I love seeing who they will become. It is such an honor to have these kids in our home.
Being a mother is such an honor and is really a great gift and stewardship from God. Here is a video that was shown in our class, and I absolutely loved the message. I hope you enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment