When I found out that I was going to be going to Southern Utah during the weekend of the St. George Marathon, I called up my mom. My mom has been helping out with the marathon so she was able to get me in and registered!! Yay!!
My mom was a little hesitant that I could run the race (thanks for the faith in me Mom), but so was I. After running the Half-Marathon in Akron, I felt great, and felt as though I could have kept running. I felt confident...until a few days later my foot started hurting. After inspecting my foot, Todd suggested that the soreness was from running the half. Great! I was soft on my foot (as much as you can be with 4 little boys) hoping it would feel better.
I got into Utah on Friday evening. After stopping at the expo to pick up my bib, we stopped by my mom's house. My mom had recently put up her Halloween decorations and to say my boys were excited would be an understatement. They kept running around, crying at the top of their lungs that it was a Halloween Party House. Mikey was talking a mile a minute in his high excited voice. It was getting late - not to mention that they should have been use to Ohio time that is two hours later and I had no idea of how to calm them down.
My sister's were kind enough to agree to sleep down at my dad's house with my boys so that they could help my dad in the morning while I slept at my mom's house so I could get uninterrupted sleep. Unfortunately I needed to make the 15 minute drive down to my dad's house to help get my kids to bed.
After getting the kids to bed, driving to my mom's, getting my clothes and shoes laid out, talking to my mom for a bit, and calling Todd, I finally went to bed around 10:30 ... 12:30 Ohio time. But don't worry, I was up at 4:00 AM getting ready for the race. If you've ever run a race, you know of the butterflies in the stomach feeling that accompanies you as you get ready, hoping you don't forget anything.
I was a little nervous. My foot was still sore, but didn't ache terribly - but still I wondered if it was a message that my body was sending to me to NOT run the marathon. I was also nervous that I didn't get enough rest since I got to bed so late. The good news is that the most important night for rest is 2 nights before the race ... oh wait, I stayed up past midnight chatting with my dad. Then not to mention that I flew all during the previous day. I could feel the train wreck occurring. I threw back another IB profen and went on my way.
Of course we got to the start line at what I would deem too early, but the time quickly went and I still felt short on time to stretch. The race started, and feeling like a huge herd of cattle, we blindly followed those in front of us. The first couple of miles were obnoxious in the fact that everyone was still very condensed together in a small area. I felt as though I may kick the person behind me while fearing that the feet in front of me were going to kick me.
My mom (this was her 9th marathon) and I ran side by side. We talked and talked. I soon became amazed as the miles seemed to be just slipping on by. Before we knew it we were at mile 6, then mile 8, then the half-way point, 13.1 miles!! It really didn't seem to be too laborious. Yes, there were some uphills, that would slow us down, but there were also some downhills that helped push us on.
My IT band injury on my right leg was bothering me a bit, and to my relief at the water stations they had several people armed with icee-hot stuff to rub on the runners. I stopped every time to have some random stranger rub the lotion onto my leg. I couldn't believe the difference and relief it provided.
I knew that Todd had the morning off so I wanted to call him sometime during the run. Throughout the run I kept trying to call him, but my phone didn't have any service (yes, I ran with my phone and headphones in my pocket). Around mile 19 I finally got service and was able to contact Todd. It was great to talk to him. He was so excited for me and kept on giving me compliments and encouragements. He also let me and my mom know that her friend, Carol, had already finished the race in like 3:20 - but she works harder than I do.
I soon left my mom as I continued conversing with Todd. He kept telling me how amazed he was that I didn't even sound out of breath. He asked me if the sun was burning me up (it's quite overcast where we live, so we don't get to see the sun much). Then I realized just how bright the sun was, it was blinding, but not too hot.
As I arrived out of the canyon and into the streets of St. George I saw some familiar faces. Even though when I had run before, the biggest boost of energy came from seeing Todd and my boys, I did have the next best thing, my honey cheering me on in my ears.
I kept running and running, almost not believing that I was doing it so effortless, it seemed too easy....maybe I took one too many IB profins. THEN I got to mile 25.
That last mile was the toughest. It seemed to go on foReVEr!!! I ran down one street thinking it was at the end, just to have to turn down another, and then another!!! When I finally saw the finish line I pushed it up to a sprint (I don't know why I bottle some energy for a sprint at the end, seems that it would be better to just run a little bit faster during the entire run). I crossed the finish line and just like every other Highly-trained athlete I threw my arms up into the air. (Another thing I have no clue as to why I do it... I think it's the fact that I finished when I wasn't sure I would....?)
I ran the marathon in 4:41!!!! I was just thrilled that I had finished, but I must say I was very pleased with my time. The funny thing is that I finished the marathon just one minute less than double the time I finished the half-marathon.
After the marathon my sisters and brother ditched me to go shopping, which left my dad to take me and my boys to his house. My dad was really helpful, but I still ended up having to chase and conquer 4 boys for the rest of the day...I even took them swimming.
Sad thing is I didn't have a camera and therefore have NO pictures of the marathon!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Man, I wish I had known you were in Southern Utah! I was there for the marathon also, even though it was Jared running it and not me. It sounds like you did awesome! I ran into your Mom at the movies and she said you both got PRs. You are amazing!
That is awesome. My sis-in-law ran it for the first time and loved it! Way to go. Just a bummer not to have any pictures!
Post a Comment