Monday, November 2, 2009

Four Years.....

What have you been doing for the last four years? What has taken several hours of your time each week for the last four years?

After four years, I have been released from Young Womens. This wasn't a huge shock to me, I knew that it may be coming to an end, but I still am sad to see it end.
I was first called to Young Womens after having just moved to Athens with two little boys, the oldest not even old enough to go to nursery, and my baby Roger. Having such young babies, and being new to an area, I was so grateful to have something to be involved in, and enjoyed going to the weekly mutual activities on Tuesday evenings because unlike my babies, these girls spoke English!!

There I met some of the most amazing and wonderful girls. They are awesome and have such strong testimonies of the Gospel. These girls found a place in my heart, and I still keep an eye on them (mostly through Facebook) and love them dearly. They are and always will be, my girls.

I also got to know one of the most wonderful woman walking this earth. Ruth. Just as the biblical woman she is named after, Ruth has incredible patience, love, and acceptance. I love and appreciate her so much, I even requested her presence at Grant's birth, which she fulfilled even though it meant driving 4 hours one way.

After moving up here I was excited to meet people, but my heart also desired to be with the Young Women. The Lord knew my heart and again I found myself being called to Young Womens. There I met some more wonderful girls, and as we all know you soon feel great love for those that you serve. The girls loved and embraced me, as did the leaders. Most of the women that I served with had young children and we were able to relate to eachother very well, I found I instantly had many friends. During all my time in YW, I was amazed how very few mutual activities I missed because of Todd's schooling/working.

Serving in the Young Womens is very interesting. I saw myself in so many of the girls, and saw that I could relate to many of them and their lives. I became increasingly grateful for my leaders from my youth and grateful that I lived my life in a way that I could be happy of.

So, with a heavy heart, I hung up my Young Women calling, but excitedly took on my new calling: Primary Chorister!!!!

I cannot describe how excited I am about my new calling. I have always loved children, and after seeing my mom fulfill this same calling several years ago, I decided that someday I wanted to have this calling. It consists of singing and playing with children...it is so meant for me. I've only done it a couple of times, but sincerely love it, and the great thing is....I've got Tuesday nights off.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Sad but happy. Primary chorister will be SOO fun! I'm jealous! You'll do great and your boys will love having you in there with them!

Natalie Buchkovich said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I am sooooo jealous! My favorite calling of all (which I have had them all) is Priamry chorister! I LOVE it!