Monday, May 9, 2011

Fun Run

It was Mikey's birthday, the day before the Ironman. We were finishing up having dinner at the Pizza Factory with my dad, brother and his family. We were there celebrating Mikey's birthday and Tavia, my SIL, asked what we had planned for after dinner. I mentioned that we were probably going to take the kids over to do the Kid Run that was put on by the Ironman, where the kids run one mile and end at the Ironman finish line. She mentioned that there was a laser tag place near by and that the kids might really enjoy that. Agreeing with her, I asked Mikey what he wanted to do, being sure to encourage the fun-ness of laser tag. I don't know why I was surprised that he wanted to do the race, that's what he sees me do all of the time!
Deciding that it would be difficult to find a spot to park at the busy and parkless race, we decided to walk from the restaurant to the race. We made it just in time to sign the kids up for the race. Roger didn't want to race, he tends to have a hard time competing with others, he rather keep a good relationship with all those he comes into contact with. I didn't complain for all I had in my purse was a twenty dollar bill and each entrant cost ten dollars.
I signed both William and Mikey up for the race. They were pretty excited. Todd was going to run along side William. I wanted to run with them, but knowing I needed to rest my legs, I stayed at the Start/Finish line.
After the race started, Tavia and I tried to find a spot where we could cheer on our kids. We were
at the street, were it turned into go into the Finishing chute. After a bit we saw Colton running by. We got excited and were cheering him on. In all of the excitement of seeing Colton, I almost missed this boy with a blue shirt running not too far behind. The blue shirted boy was Mikey. I started cheering when I realized it was him. He was doing great.
A minute passed by, I was expecting to be waiting for a long time when suddenly I spotted Todd up ahead with William right by him. Just then William started to slow down to a walk. I started cheering for him, encouraging him to keep going. I saw Todd point me out to William then suddenly William got a burst of speed and started sprinting.
William was running so fast, Todd had a hard time keeping up with him. He sprinted past me with a huge smile and determination on his face. He kept up his speed and finished.
I was so proud of my boys, gave them hugs and praises. William was so pleased with himself. He kept saying how he went faster than kids that were bigger than him. He was obviously tired and wiped out, but he was happy, he had pushed himself and had fun doing it.









No comments: