Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to me?!

Kitchen decorated!!
Boys singing "Happy Birthday". Notice the cake that the boys and I made, yep no breaks
Todd blocking Roger trying to blow the candle out
Roger feeding cake to William

So last Wednesday was my birthday. I use to get excited about my birthdays (when I was a little kid), but now they don't seem to have the same fire. Todd, who usually leaves the house before any of us are up, woke me up with a kiss before heading to work. Luckily I got to sleep for another hour. After the boys woke up, we went downstairs to make breakfast. To my suprise, Todd had gotten streamers and decorated the kitchen with them, and had gotten me some long stemmed roses waiting in a vase. I was so suprised and so touched by his thoughtfulness. It reminded me that he really had remembered my birthday.

That morning I was going to a playgroup, and felt amazed because it actually looked like we would be there on time. I even did my hair!! Well, after finishing my hair, I went downstairs to get the boys shoes and coats on. I found Roger in the bathroom. In the mornings, Roger likes to wear underpants, which I will let him wear as long as he's willing to go on the potty every hour. He actually is getting good, and his only holdback with getting totally toilet trained is me. He prefers to use a little potty, which I have taught him how to empty the contents into the toilet - which he does quite well and routinely. Well, when he urinates, it easily slides from the bowl to the toilet, but not so much for BMs.

I walked past the bathroom, where Roger was, and found the present he had left for me. The bathroom was covered in poo. It was all over the floor, on the walls, on the door, on the step stool, and even on the floor in the hallway. I about died, but I was happy to see that he had gone to the bathroom all by himself, but just had trouble with the emptying the bowl. So, of course I gave him candy and gave him a little cheer before going and tackling the mess. I ended up being 45 minutes late to the play group. Kids really do jinx you so you cannot be on time.

Later that day, Mikey left me a present. Mikey has not had an accident in nearly a month - which we are very pleased. I heard him in the bathroom, so I went in to see if I could help him at all. I found him, with his pants off and for the second time that day, poo all over the bathroom. He had an accident in his pants and had tried cleaning it up himself. I again got the bleach cleaner out. The cleaner was being difficult to open for some reason, and when I did, out sprayed some chlorine bleach solution. It got in my hair, on my face, and unfortunately on my shirt - which now has white spots.

I couldn't believe the luck as I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor. Didn't the boys realize it was my birthday? But, the reality is, when your a mom you do not get the day off, and you have to continue with your duty, no matter how disgusting it is.

Todd definatly made up for my boys lack of respect for the "Birthday Girl". Upon arriving home, he informed me that I had to leave in 30 minutes. He had scheduled a pregnancy massage for me! How sweet! He also let me go visit my sister in NYC this weekend - with NO KIDS!! It was great, I got to sleep in, not cook, and not have to be aware of 3 young kids every move. I was very grateful for Todd's sacrifice in letting me go. When I got home last night, Todd told me that everything about me seemed so great - that I seemed rejuvenated (which I am). He even suggested that I get a break more often - which I would not turn down.

10 comments:

Chatty Family said...

Glad you're back! Remember when we were saying "If I have to change one more poopy diaper..." Doesn't sound so bad now. At least it is contained!

Terra said...

I didn't realize it was your B-day that day!!! Well, Happy Belated B-day anyway. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Welsch Family said...

Seriously, you should write a book about all of your stories. I am at work just laughing it up right now. I'm sure these stories happen to other people too, but the way you write them makes them so hilarious.

Nick

Lisa Johnson said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I knew your birthday was in February, but didn't know the exact day!

Amber said...

Happy birthday!! I feel so ashamed that I didn't know when it was!! I'll make sure to get in my book! I think you are so amazing! I seriously would have broken down crying with all that poop! I'm so glad that you could go visit Lyndee! You guys are the best and Jace and I talk about you how we love your blog and all your comments! Take care of you and I'm glad that you are feeling powered up! Hey- where is Lanae these days? My brother Nate said he needed to get a letter from her! Is she going to school somewhere? Email me anytime :)

The Jones Fam said...

Happy Birthday last week! Sounds like it was a roller coaster day! With my birthday coming up in 2 weeks, I know not to expect anything other than a regular day. It sounds like Todd was very sweet and put a lot of thought into your birthday. Too bad the boys both had to have accidents on the same day :(

Tara said...

I hope that you had a happy birthday in spite of the accidents. How sad/funny. Your husband sounds like such a great guy though to do all of that for you. I hope that your pregnancy is going well.

Natalie Buchkovich said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! I did know it was your birthday, but was gone so I was unable to ring you up and sing to you(you are so lucky)!! But sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with Lyndee! That is fun she is close. I will have to meet you guys up there sometime, little poop head!! hehehe..your kids crack me up!

Nikki said...

Happy birthday what a wonderful present!

Melissa said...

what a sweet lil' fam you have! definitely a memorable b-day.