Saturday we took the boys ice skating. I was debating if I should just have Todd take Mikey for I wasn't sure Roger was old enough to handle it. We went in, rented the skates, and proceeded to put on the skates. Both boys were really excited about the skates and the idea of going skating. As I was trying to get Roger's skates on, I second thought taking him. I thought for sure that when he had to stand up on his skates - which are akward compared to shoes -that he would freak out. But, he didn't complain.
When we got out on the ice, I was a little nervous. Neither Todd nor I are good skaters, we each had to help an almost helpless child, and I am very pregnant - bad combination! Luckily the rink has what they call "Training Cones", which are just cones that you take along with you that will help you from falling. We went in a smaller rink, that's meant for non-experienced folks like us.
I took Roger around the loop once, holding his hand to the cone, and his other hand in mine. Imagine my suprise when after just once loop, he didn't need me to hold on to him. He was a natural. Every once in a while he would let go of the cone and try skating without it, and even though he would fall everytime, he could go quite far sometimes.
Mikey wasn't quite a natural with skating. He would let his legs go limp and fell quite a bit. I was shocked to see that it was Roger, not Mikey who had an easier time with skating. But, once again I did see where they differ so much. After about an hour of skating, Roger insisted that we get out of the rink. All of us got out and Roger walked over to the bench and instantly wanted me to take off his skates. Mikey turned to Todd and asked him if he would take him out to the bigger rink. So I stayed with Roger and Todd took Mikey skating. Mikey ended up skating 20 minutes longer!!! Roger kept saying that he had fun, and I know he did, but he just doesn't have the dedication or determination that Mikey does. I was very pleased to see Mikey not give up, but to keep trying and working hard.
We had a great time, and it is so much fun to see how God sent us such different little people.
Where was William during all this you ask? Don't worry, he was in his stroller, outside of the rink. If anyone tried taking him I'm sure we could hurry and skate out of the rink, and chase him down with our skates on.
4 comments:
You guys are brave! I don't think that I'd dare take three little boys to an ice skating rink. I just barely learned how to ice skate myself last year. It does look like fun though.
FUN!! That is great that you took the boys. I am amazed that Roger caught on so quickly, that is cool!
You are going to SLC this weekend or next? I leave next wed. for two weeks! I am so excited! Hey and I have a blogging request! I heard that your new hair cut is really cute! Take a picture and post it...I want to see what it looks like!!
You guys are true adventurers!! How fun and brave because I know I would fall more than any of my kids!! Take care of you pregnant lady!!!!!
Wow, I agree with Tara, you are very brave. I guess with 3 1/2 boys you have to be :) Kudos on skating while pregnant and awkard. I think I would be more scared of falling myself, than my kids!
Post a Comment