This being Valentine's Day, I've decided to dedicate a blog to the man in my life. True there are many men (or should I say boys) in my life, but the man in my life is the one that has made all others possible.
I dated some really nice guys. I dated some really smart, charming, handsome, righteous, fun, cute, humerous, and respectable guys. Whoever ended up marriying any of them is lucky, but I really have to say that I am so thankful that the Lord directed me to Todd.
I do have to say that it was the Lord that directed me to Todd because on my own I couldn't figure out how perfect Todd is, perfect for me that is. I feel that even though I knew and dated all these nice guys, I would not be as happy with any of them as I am with Todd.
Todd is really amazing, and because of him, we have such a great marriage relationship. He knows how to encourage me to be better, to be stronger, all while still encouraging me to relax, take a nap, don't worry too much, etc. I really love being with him, and love just talking to him. We work really well as a team - which with 3 1/2 kids, we kinda have to work well together. He brings out the best in me, and the best in our children. I often tell my boys that they need to be like their daddy, and more often I pray for that. Here's a list (comparatively short for how amazing he is) of things that I like about Todd.
-He has the cutest sense of humor, and will suprise you with the things he comes up with. When we were first engaged my sister made a comment to me about how she didn't think he was that much fun, but now that she's gotten to know him better, she agrees that he is a riot.
-He is so cheerful that one cannot be grumpy around him. He has a very comforting and calming presence -which is why I think he'll do well in the ER. My favorite part of the day is when he comes home. 95% of the time, he is smiling and happy and encouraging that in the rest of us.
-He is so helpful. He has started what he calls "The O'Neil Family Tradition". This is the tradition that the dad and kids clean up the kitchen after dinner since mom has worked all day & made the meal. As of right now, he's the only one really participating in this tradition (the boys aren't much help), and there are some nights that he's too busy with studying, but I am so thankful that he is so willing to help. He also volunteers to help for everything at church. He's signed up to help at the Primary social on Saturday, he's always babysitting at the Enrichment nights, he signs up for the storehouse, clean the church, clean the temple, give blessings, feed the missionaries, donate blood at the blood drive, and whatever sign up that goes around. He really is such an example of selfless service.
-He is incredibly thoughtful & sensitive. He makes me feel really special just by the effort and thought he puts into things. He loves to find ways to give me a break or to make me happy. He's very sensitive to my needs, and to the boys needs. He is very concerned with all of us, always trying to make things better or be more involved with each of us. It's no wonder that after a weekend of the boys being with him, and not me, that after seeing me for a couple of minutes, they still prefered to be with their daddy.
-Todd is very righteous and has his priorities in place. He is very faithful, always supporting of church and God. He never talks badly about our leaders - or anyone in the ward either. He doesn't question the commandments, and follows them because he has a testimony of the Gospel, and not because it will please his parents or me. He truely loves the Lord, and does all that he can to please Him. He is aware of his responsibilities as a priesthood holder, and does not treat them lightly. I am very thankful that my boys have such a great example of how to live.
-One thing that I was conciounsly seeking while dating was someone who didn't have an "image". I always felt that when guys had an image to keep up, they would put that image before you, God, everything. I really love how honest Todd is. What you see is what you get. He doesn't try to appear better or different than he is, he is just that, Todd. If you want to know something, he'll tell you truthfully, he has no "image" to keep up. Now, in some cases it is somewhat hindering - he once got a speeding ticket because he was totally honest (the officer was looking for an excuse to not give it to him) but even though sometimes it costs a little bit, I love that he won't paint a different picture or loose his integrity.
-Todd is very respectful to everyone. He views everyone as someone important and treats them that way. He is very respectful to his elders, and especially to women - which I love. I am really grateful that we both recognize that there is a difference between men and women, and that he does all that he can to respect and glorify womenhood. I guess one reason we are having so many boys is so he can teach them something that the world is very quickly forgetting, to respect women.
I could go on and on about how wonderful my Valentine is, but that would probably bore a lot of you - let's be honest, how many of you just skimmed this blog in the first place? But I do have to say that I am so thankful that I have Todd in my life. He is amazing and meets my needs and wants so perfectly. I hope all of you have a great Valentine's day and have an equally perfect person for you to spend it with!
4 comments:
You are too cute and sweet! What a happy example you are! Take care and have a good day with your awesome hubby!
I did not skim, I read it all :O) You are very lucky to have such a wonderful husband. (luckily, I feel the same way about mine!) I really do believe that our Heavenly Father knows what we need in an eternal partner and if we are listening to the spirit, he will guide us to him/her.
What a romancer! Todd is a great guy, and you two do make a great team. You are very lucky! And I you you guys to thank for helping me find my Valentine! So thanks!
By the way...that "and I have you guy to thanks...
Post a Comment