Sunday, July 13, 2008

Another Birthday Bar-B-Q


In celebration of Roger's birthday next week, we had a barbq on Friday. It was a lot of fun, with good friends and even better food. It was very relaxed and comfortable - which I usually shoot for. The best part of the party was Lana, my sister.
If you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend getting yourself a 12 year-old. She is amazing. During the party she took care of most the kids. She had them playing games on the trampoline - and even got them to take turns with little to no screaming. It was nice for all the parents to enjoy having conversations with other adults and to not have to worry too much about their kids.

Lana came to our house when my brother Roger came, and she stayed after while my parents are in Israel with LeNae. She has been such a great help. She does the dishes, even cooked some meals. One time she had dinner and the table all set nicely when I didn't even ask her to do anything. The boys have loved having her - but then who doesn't love Aunt Lana.

Roger's favorite part of the party was the cake. He enjoyed making it, and loved helping decorate it. After making Mikey's first birthday cake (years ago) Todd gave me a really good compliment about taking time and making our boys' birthday cakes so now I'm kind of stuck making their cakes instead of buying one. But I did want to make Roger's cake fun for him. So, I grabbed a few of his favorite toys (he loves little animals he can carry around) and put them on. Roger loved this and had me put even more toys on, then I let him decide where to put the candles.

Lana made fun of me for not putting "Happy Birthday" on his cake, but instead putting "Roger". I told her that Roger recognizes his name, so it would be exciting for him. I was right and when I cut the cake, he insisted that he got a piece with the "R" on it.

By the end we had the women inside the house talking, nursing, and cleaning (okay, maybe it was only Stephanie cleaning) and the men were outside talking business and sports while Lana was getting tired from entertaining the kids.

2 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

Soundsl like a great party! I am in the dilemma of trying to decide if I want to do any type of Party for Jaylee for her b-day in September. Great job on the cake, it looks very cute!

Angie said...

I can't believe Roger is 3! Where did the time go?