We had to drop my mom's rental car off, then it took forever getting the bikes off the car and ready for our trip. We had to eat, and feed the kids. And of course, we had to talk forever.
But finally at noon we hopped on our bikes, rode down Temple Rd, and rode into the parking lot of the Sacred Grove. My dad followed us in the car with the kids to this point. We all sat at the picnic tables and each ate a frozen Smuckers Crustables (really good and convenient). While there we had a little devotional and a prayer. Then we went our separate ways. We bikers
The bike trail was beautiful.
With the bike trail we were able to, for the most part, ride alongside someone. It was a great opportunity to talk to these people who are so important in my life. We talked about the scenery, life, kids, our thoughts, our trials, and God. There aren't particular things that were said that I remember, but more just the feeling of comfort and validation, and love.
After a couple of hours, our behinds started aching. We expected this and just kept riding through the uncomfortable pain. But poor Todd, the Ground Pounder was just too much. I finally forced him to switch with me, knowing that he was just miserable but still being cheerful and sweet. And even though he looked kind of funny riding a girly bike that was a little too short for him (Todd calls my bike a "mom bike", and that's what it is), he was grateful for the break. I have to admit riding the Ground Pounder was difficult. The gears don't all work, and I was always nervous of ever shifting the gears because they did not shift smoothly at all and I did not want a broken bike.
It was getting close to dinner time and we had only gone about 30 miles. Devastating I know. Looking at the map, we found the nearest restaurant that was close to our path. We called my dad, just to see if he would want to join us. I was skeptical that he would be able to find the restaurant and join us in time, but I thought, "Hey, it's the thought that counts".
We arrived at the restaurant.
We ate at this "Pirate" restaurant.
We went on our way again. A lot of the time that we were riding on the canal, my thoughts were turned to those early Saints.
After riding for a few more hours it started getting to be dusk. I was looking up at a roadway bridge that I was about to go under when I saw my car drive over it. My dad drove over to where we were. Again I was amazed that he had so easily found us. He told us that he was going to go up ahead and start looking for some hotel accommodations for us that night. Lyndee was finished for the day and went with him.
My mom was a stud, always in the front, never tired, pushing the limit.
Access to roads were few and far in between, so we finally decided to stop at a bridge. A few miles before reaching it, we called my dad to have him meet us there. Sure enough he was there and waiting. It was good to see him at 10:00 at night. We loaded our bikes onto the back and headed to the motel, with a quick stop at a grocery store.
I was so excited to see my bed (even though the room had a weird funky smell to it), and my kids. The way the kids and Lana fell asleep, I ended up sharing a bed with William. Todd claims that I prefer to sleeping with William, which I do have to admit that there's not a whole lot that compares to having your baby sleep in your arms.
No comments:
Post a Comment