Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Doctor is IN






After four years of medical school, Todd is officially a doctor!!

We went down to Athens for his graduation. Just driving down there made me feel all nostalgic. We had such a great time living down there, it was a great experience for our family. We stayed at Liz’s parents house. They were very accomadating , even when Grant was up until 2:30 AM teething (fun, fun). We got to Athens on Friday night. Todd’s graduation was held Saturday morning. He had to be at the convocation center early, so I got to get the kids ready and out all by myself. As I was walking out the door Hannah, Liz’s sister and one of my old young women, offered to watch Grant. Knowing how difficult he would be during the ceremony, I happily agreed. (THANK YOU HANNAH)

We had to ride a bus from the medical school parking lot to the memorial auditorium. The wait was very long, luckily Todd’s parents arrived and were able to help me herd the children. During the graduation the boys did pretty good. As time went on, it became more difficult for them. Thankfully we were in the back of the balcony seating. The graduation was actually pretty good, terrific speakers. Then, when they read the names and had the Student Doctors hooded to become Doctors, I got a little choked up. Todd has worked so hard, yet it’s unbelievable to be at this point in our lives. Mikey too was pretty excited to see his dad walk across the stage.

Afterwards we stopped by to see my dear friend Shanna and her family.

That evening (while Hannah watched all the boys) we went to a graduation dinner held by Todd’s schoolmate and our friends the Bennets. It was nice to talk to these friends and celebrate every one’s accomplishment...though we joked it’s not really a celebration because everyone is off to start their residency so the road remains long and the journey is not over.

Sunday we went to the Athens Branch. It was so nice, though very weird to see all of my Young Women getting older and more mature. I sure have missed them and was grateful to get to hug them. It was also so good to see our old friends, there are such good people in that branch.

After church we went over to the Bennet’s home so that they could see the boys and we could visit them a little longer before going home. Vicky and Todd had studied for boards together a lot, and we had lived just down the street from them. Vicky and Chuck helped us move into our home that we live in now, and have visited us several times since then because their daughter, Jessica is going to school just 30 miles away from us. During the school year, Jessica comes and eats with us once a week while she does her laundry and visits with us and the kids. They have been a great family to be friends with and we have always appreciated them and their help. They have always shown our boys love and acceptance, and is NEVER worried about if my kids will mess up her house. The Bennets collect pets the way we collect boys. The boys loved holding their rat and playing with their dog and cat.

After visiting with the Bennets, we were heading to go home, except for we wanted to stop by Todd’s parents house. Imagine Todd’s reaction when we pulled up their driveway to find this presenting this

Never before have I seen Todd so happy, surprised and touched. Todd has wanted a motorcycle for a long time, and even joked that when we took William to the ER that any money he had saved for the motorcycle was now gone to pay the bills for the ER visit. He was so thrilled to see that he now has a motorcycle. He was also very touched because it is a great gift and sacrivfice for his parents to give, and for them to give it to Todd, well I’m not sure Todd has ever felt so much love as he did this day.

The whole rest of the evening Todd had a permenant smile on his face, and was terribly giddy. All that he could talk and think about was his motorcycle. His sister went into the hospital to give birth, yet where were his thoughts....on his bike.

All I can say is thanks Mom and Dad O.

They also gave Grant one of his only birthday presents (he also got a book from Grandma Patti - we didn't get him anything. We have enough 1-year-old toys - am I a bad mom?). Both he and Mikey absolutely love it. Grant uses it to help him walk, and Mikey uses it to "work".

7 comments:

The Andra Family said...

Congrats to both of you! It would be difficult supporting a spouse going to Medical school with 4 little kiddos at home. I was really touched by the motorcycle story.

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

Congrats Todd!! You guys are amazing. Good luck with residency.

Dean and Rachel said...

What an accomplishment! I'm so excited for your family. AND a motorcycle? I definitely think he deserves that after med school. Congrats....

The Jones Fam said...

Wow! Congrats Todd! I'm sure it's a relief for both of you to be finished :) Love the pic of Todd hugging his dad, what thoughtful parents. Jared will be so jealous, he desperately wants a motorcyle. Maybe I will tell him he needs to become a doctor first.

SF in Motion said...

Awesome, way to go Todd!!! I am really excited for you all.

Danelle Robins said...

Yeah!!! My little Hot-toddie is a doctor now! I remember the days back when I was stuffing your wedding announcements. . .ah, good times!
Congrats- you are all super hard workers and deserve every ounce of happiness and success.
Miss you tons!

Nikki said...

Congratulations!! What a great accomplishment. I remember taking my kids to the swearing in ceremony when Dave passed the bar. Oh that was a blast.