..."and there you shall be endowed with power from on high" D&C 38:32
Heading out this morning was bitter sweet. It was great to know that by the end of the day we would have reached our destination, see the boys, wear freshly washed clothes, and sleep in our own beds but it was also our last day of riding bikes. After riding about 20 miles, we passed into the great state of Ohio.
We had breakfast at a mom & pop diner in Conneaut, Ohio. My eggs were nasty, thankfully Todd allowed me to eat his pancakes. There was also a guy that kept on trying to hit on my mom - awkward.
We really enjoyed the scenery of the lake and country roads. Todd and I actually found a quaint little house that we'll retire to, my mom didn't like the idea.
When we reached Ashtabula (I will never live there), we got a little off track, on accident. Soon I found where we went wrong and we headed to the right road. We didn't go in the wrong direction, we just took some roads that took us farther into the city rather than by the lake. I found us a country road that we rode for awhile We rode quite leisurely, enjoying the last of our journey, cherishing the moments, knowing how few they were.
To get to Kirtland, we had to start riding away from the lake - that was sad, but it did remind us of the progress we were making.When we reached Ashtabula (I will never live there), we got a little off track, on accident. Soon I found where we went wrong and we headed to the right road. We didn't go in the wrong direction, we just took some roads that took us farther into the city rather than by the lake. I found us a country road that we rode for awhile We rode quite leisurely, enjoying the last of our journey, cherishing the moments, knowing how few they were.
We stopped at Geneva, Ohio where there is a quaint little town with a main street, and on the main street there is the cutest little "soda shop". It was decorated like the "soda shop"/pharmacy in "It's a Wonderful Life". We each ordered a malt and enjoyed these last moments together.
We started biking again. Fifteen miles later, we were in Painesville, Ohio. At this point we had ridden almost 70 miles that day and only had 10 miles left to the temple! I had called Lyndee a bit earlier telling her that we were 20 miles from the temple - letting her know that we would probably make it to the temple in 2 hours. She insisted that it would be 3 hours and that they I would meet us then. I was trying to figure out what we were going to be doing with the extra time we would have because we were making great time.Just then we went down a fun curvy hill. I was enjoying it, but upon seeing the hill we would be going up, prepared myself (and my gears) to "take it on". I was halfway up the hill when my mom, who was in front of me, pushed her peddles really hard and I heard a snap and her chain fell off the bike. I rode around her (very compassionate daughter I am) as she jumped off her bike and went to the side to fix it. Todd stopped to help her. (I would've stopped, but it was a steep hill, and once you stop, you're done for).
I waited at the top, watching them look over the bike. The next thing I know, my mom is taking off her helmet and Todd is lifting her bike over the guard rails.! My mom's bike had broken!!! We were so close too!! So my mom, being the stud that she is, figured that since she had a marathon to run next week, this would be a good opportunity for her to get a run in.
She told us to go on ahead and that she would run the rest. I felt really bad leaving her, I didn't want to leave her.
There wasn't much that we could do, so after I gave her exact directions on how to get to the temple, Todd and I rode off...just the two of us.
It was sort of interesting because it started out with four bikers, then at the end it was only Todd and I...together. And really, out of all the important relationships I have here on earth, Todd and mine relationship is the most important. It was nice to have some "alone" time. We flirted, chatted excitedly - to have gone this far and to be this close is really exciting.
There was a road that I wasn't entirely sure of which way to turn. I thought I had figured it out, but after a mile, I found out that it was longer. Todd insisted that we could just keep going in that direction, but I wanted to make sure that we were giving my mom the best directions possible - when you're running an extra mile makes a WORLD of difference.
We turned south on route 615 that took us through Kirtland Hills and down to the east side of the LDS church sites. We came down this hill and beheld the beauty of Kirtland (or Kirtland Hills). It was absolutely amazing. Even living in this green area made me stop and pause to admire the beauty of it all. Todd and I stopped and had a moment here.
Then knowing that we only had a mile or two to the temple, we put set our ipods onto the song, "Praise the Man". It was beautiful. The Spirit was so strong. Even though what I went through was nothing comparatively, but I felt like I understood a little bit of what the early Saints were feeling when they reached Kirtland. We passed the church's Kirtland village site and stopped at a red light, wanting to go south on Route 306 to get to the temple that was just up the hill. As we were waiting there, my car drove past us carrying Lyndee and my dad. We waved, it was so good to see them.The light turned green, and we turned left, trying to let all the cars go ahead of us so not to get run over. We had biked 300 miles, but no hill was as difficult as the hill we were then attempting. It was incredibly steep, and because we had to stop at the light, we had no momentum helping us. The only thing that kept me going was looking up at the temple and working to be there. I was tired, out of breath, hungry, hot, sweaty....but I kept going. Exhilaration rushed through me when I reached the top! We had done it!
We had done it!!! Todd and I stopped in front of the temple. It was beautiful. We hugged eachother and just stood in awe as we realized that we had finished our trip. We had reached our goal.
A few minutes later, Lyndee and my dad met up with us. They looked confused and asked where my mom was. We told them the story as they both looked at us in shock. We then loaded up the car and set off to find my mom.
We found her just a couple miles away.
We took Todd and my bikes off the car and while my dad, Todd, and Lyndee went to retrieve my mom's broken bike, my mom and I rode the bikes to the temple.
I really did not mind riding back to the temple, I actually was really glad I could do it again. But this time, when I got to the hill in front of the temple, I jumped off my bike and walked it up.
I'm so grateful that I was able to experience this adventure. It was amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone. The feelings that go through your body are amazing. I am so grateful to this guy:
for watching my kids so I could do this. I know it wasn't easy.
We started biking again. Fifteen miles later, we were in Painesville, Ohio. At this point we had ridden almost 70 miles that day and only had 10 miles left to the temple! I had called Lyndee a bit earlier telling her that we were 20 miles from the temple - letting her know that we would probably make it to the temple in 2 hours. She insisted that it would be 3 hours and that they I would meet us then. I was trying to figure out what we were going to be doing with the extra time we would have because we were making great time.Just then we went down a fun curvy hill. I was enjoying it, but upon seeing the hill we would be going up, prepared myself (and my gears) to "take it on". I was halfway up the hill when my mom, who was in front of me, pushed her peddles really hard and I heard a snap and her chain fell off the bike. I rode around her (very compassionate daughter I am) as she jumped off her bike and went to the side to fix it. Todd stopped to help her. (I would've stopped, but it was a steep hill, and once you stop, you're done for).
I waited at the top, watching them look over the bike. The next thing I know, my mom is taking off her helmet and Todd is lifting her bike over the guard rails.! My mom's bike had broken!!! We were so close too!! So my mom, being the stud that she is, figured that since she had a marathon to run next week, this would be a good opportunity for her to get a run in.
It was sort of interesting because it started out with four bikers, then at the end it was only Todd and I...together. And really, out of all the important relationships I have here on earth, Todd and mine relationship is the most important. It was nice to have some "alone" time. We flirted, chatted excitedly - to have gone this far and to be this close is really exciting.
There was a road that I wasn't entirely sure of which way to turn. I thought I had figured it out, but after a mile, I found out that it was longer. Todd insisted that we could just keep going in that direction, but I wanted to make sure that we were giving my mom the best directions possible - when you're running an extra mile makes a WORLD of difference.
We turned south on route 615 that took us through Kirtland Hills and down to the east side of the LDS church sites. We came down this hill and beheld the beauty of Kirtland (or Kirtland Hills). It was absolutely amazing. Even living in this green area made me stop and pause to admire the beauty of it all. Todd and I stopped and had a moment here.
A few minutes later, Lyndee and my dad met up with us. They looked confused and asked where my mom was. We told them the story as they both looked at us in shock. We then loaded up the car and set off to find my mom.
We found her just a couple miles away.
I really did not mind riding back to the temple, I actually was really glad I could do it again. But this time, when I got to the hill in front of the temple, I jumped off my bike and walked it up.
I'm so grateful that I was able to experience this adventure. It was amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone. The feelings that go through your body are amazing. I am so grateful to this guy:
No comments:
Post a Comment