Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Fellow Americans

Tuesday night I was disappointed to find out that Ohio had voted for Obama, which lead more to him winning. And, if you know me, you know I did not want Obama to win, I do not like big government, I actually am quite a Libertarian in most senses.

BUT

I am going to support Obama. This does not mean that I will accept everything that he says and change my beliefs to coincide with his, follow him blindly. But when he speaks or proposes ideas I am going to try to keep all biases out and listen to his ideas trying to see how they would be beneficial and only then decide if I agree with that particular proposal. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

These last terms of Bush I have been very sickened by not just the lack of support but more out right defiance against our President. People display their "Kerry / Edwards" bummer stickers with pride as if to say, "I didn't vote for Bush; therefore I am going to fight anything he says. I hope the nation tanks so I can say 'told you so'." And as much as I would desire to now answer back with something like, "well, now you have the chance, don't wreck the nation on your watch or else I'll be saying 'told you so'." I really do not desire for our nation to falter. I want us to be successful. I want us to hold on to our Independence. I want my children to have a great nation to live in. I WANT OBAMA TO LEAD US TO SUCCESS!!

We all got the opportunity to go to the polls. There were more that wanted Obama, so he won. Despite who we voted for, we should support our leader, the man that won more votes. I was very impressed with McCain (something that doesn't happen much) when he urged us to support our newly elected President. He doesn't want division in our country, nor do I. Our agendas should not be focused on whether something is good or bad for our political party, but rather whether we feel if something is good or bad for our nation, our freedoms, our children.

So, sit and sulk for a couple of days (those that voted the way I did) because after disappointment you must cope with it. Then after your allotted time, I urge you to stand up and support our new President. Don't speak badly about him just because he wasn't your choice. Rather let's give him a chance, let's give our nation a chance. Remember him in your prayers, pray that he will be inspired and guided to do that which would be best for the people. He's signed himself up for a difficult job, why should we make it more difficult?

On a greater note, Ohio voted against having a casino come into our state - YAY!!! I'm glad that people saw that gambling is not a business that would benefit our people. And even better news, Proposition 8 passed!!!!! That was really the biggest vote that I was concerned about. I really do not hate gays/lesbians, if anything I feel badly for them and the struggles they have to deal with. They can live their lives how they want to and deem worthy, but do not force the schools to teach my children that something that I feel is morally wrong is something it is not. I feel that the gays/lesbians can live together and have enough laws that protect their lifestyle that there is not a need to take away or confuse the sanctuary of marriage.

Tuesday did come out to be a success in my book. The issues that I was concerned about passed in the ways they wanted to. And just as important, millions and millions of Americans got out to get their voices heard. What a great place we live in.
Side note - almost totally unrelated. The shirt that Michelle was wearing during the acceptance speech, I thought it looked terrible. I thought it made her look pregnant (maybe I'm just super not-look-pregnant paranoid). Then I saw on a online paper that they were saying how awesome her outfit was that night. Weird.

3 comments:

The Lassen Family said...

I totally agree with you. I don't know if you read the "Santa" comment on my blog, but rest assured that that was my moment of sulking and I agree that we all need to support the President (in case you thought I wouldn't come around :-)

Katie said...

I also voted McCain, but I feel that if Obama is going to be president then this is a great chance to "support our leaders". I hope that his leftist ideals will be put on the back burner, but I guess only time will tell. Thank you for writing about this!

the Petterson Family said...

Well said! I agree with most everything that you said about this, I really liked what McCain said about supporting him as well! The only thing that I don't agree with is I thought that Michelle Obama's outfit was so stylish! :) Thanks for sharing this! You are awesome!