Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Will-Dog is Three!

"I only have two birthdays" William informs us as he holds up two little skinny fingers. Well, now William has had three birthdays. Three years ago this little man joined our family, and we couldn't be happier about it.
William is such a joy to have around. He is incredibly easy-going, but will definitely hold his own when he feels it is needed. Easy-going yet stubborn...I wonder where he gets that from? He can be quite bossy. He will shout at the offender (even if he isn't even being personally bothered), giving them orders. He will even order me around. When I am pouring milk, he will yell at me, "That enough Mom!! That enough!!"
I would call him my quasi-boyfriend. He will give me little glances with a re-assuring smile. He winks at me, and pulls other cute faces to me.
He loves being like his bigger brothers, and does not consider himself small. He can actually hold his own quite well! He's probably one of my toughest kids. The other day during Grant's nap which we call our "Quiet Time" he hit his head on the corner of the wall. Knowing that he was to be quiet, I saw as he was trying to keep everything inside as his little head was throbbing.
He can pull the cutest frowny face, upturn the upper lip and make my heart melt. He does a good job of governing himself, so reprimanding him is rare, but when it does occur, it can be met with him frowning or putting his hands over his face.
Like I said, he has to be involved in what his older brothers are doing. I have been having "Learning to Read Time" set aside with each of my boys to teach them how to read. William insists on having his own time too, which is no problem. The problem is that he wants me to work with him on the same stuff that I'm working with his older brothers on. Unfortunately it's a little above his skill level.
He is very particular about his tableware (which little kid isn't?). He has to have the "glass" forks - for some reason these silver forks have been termed glass. He HATES having to use cups that are Primary Colors, and even though we recite the saying, "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit" several times each meal, I don't think he totally understands what it means, or else he's just playing me as he recites it joyfully then throws a fit a second later because I gave him a blue cup.
When I don't want him to do something, he'll insist that he's capable. Sometimes, it's even for his own good. He grabbed some sharp kitchen knifes and started playing with them. I immediately grabbed them (when I saw him with them) and told him he couldn't play with them. He came back with, "Mom, I'm being careful" - ya, with sharp knifes longer than your arms, I think not!
If I want him to do something, he'll insist that he's not able. He's been potty-trained for more than a year, and I am just now able to convince him to go to the bathroom without me pulling his pants up and down.
His voice cracks more than a teenage boy. The cutest thing is to hear him say, "I don't know" or "I don't want to" with his little voice going very high on the word after don't.

In celebration of his birthday, I asked him what he wanted for each meal. Breakfast was Crepples (no suprise there, he would have them everyday if I would make them for him). When I asked about the other meals he answered with Crepples.For breakfast I whipped out the Crepples and blueberries. I put a candle in William's Crepple as we sang to him. He loved this, and Grant loved it even more. He insisted on having a candle put into his Crepple as well, and he even tried blowing it out, but had to use William's assistance to get it out.For lunch my friend watched the three other boys as I took William out for lunch. He wanted ice cream for lunch, and I couldn't say no. But I was able to sneak other food in as well.
After dinner I read from my journal the account of William's birth. It was fun to see the boys' reaction to this story, especially when they were mentioned. Then we had some cake and ice cream (in the version of frozen Go-gurts). After William had finished eating his cake, he said, "I have a tummy ache" and gave out a long sigh. Well, after having ice cream for lunch and cake after dinner, I wonder why!After cake and cleanup, William opened his many gifts. He was very happy with them all.
We love you William and are grateful you were born!

1 comment:

Holly said...

What a fun post about William! I love reading about your kids. What are crepples? Are they a cross between a crepe and a waffle? I think I need the recipe.