Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm Done

I belong to this babysitting co-op group in my town. It's nice because even though I really don't mind watching other people's kids because really, when you already have four, what's one more? But my problem is that when I need someone to babysit my kids, I feel badly about asking someone to watch 4 more kids than their own, and I find that two of my friends (you know who you are) end up watching them all the time. So I joined this group so that I could ask for help and not feel so badly.
With this group there are stipulations. I have to attend a meeting every quarter. They have a meeting every month, but every other month it is on a Sunday, so pretty much any non-Sunday meeting I have to go to. Well, after tonight I think I may be getting out of this group.
First of all the only other night they meet on is Monday night (FHE), which with Todd working this evening, we had ours this morning so it didn't really affect it this time. But as I sat there talking with these women, who are all very nice indeed, I realized that maybe I didn't belong.
One woman has never taken her three year-old to the library, yet kept bragging about how he can already read, another was saying how they were so happy when they found a preschool that would accept 24 month-old "kids".....that's not preschool honey, that's day care. There was talk of how they felt preschool should be required of all children, there was talk of how they wished that our government would pay the mothers that are stay-at-home-mothers....if the government were to do that it would come at a great cost, and the most detrimental cost would not be the higher taxes. Now don't get me wrong, these are wonderful women, great mothers, and I call a few of them friends, but I guess the real selling point of me getting out of the co-op is this:
Since Todd was working I had to bring my kids. The host, who is a friend of mine, was gracious enough to allow me to bring them along. They played well in the basement during the meeting (all but Grant, who was difficult, but bearable). When the meeting was over I went down to bring my boys up. They threw the BIGGEST FIT I have ever seen in my life. Another woman had to help hold William down as I got his shoes on, Roger was screaming at the top of his lungs, and Grant was pathetically crying the entire time. It didn't help that my friend's living room was small and very crowded with all the people present. I was just so grateful that Mikey was being obedient.I finally get all the boys out the door and shuffling towards the car (it's like 8:30 at night at this point) when William takes off running in the opposite direction. Do I leave the ninety and nine to go after the one or do I herd the group into the car first? What would all those women looking out the front window do in my situation? I'm sure that as I was leaving these women are thinking to themselves, "Remind me not to babysit for that woman." Having kids sure does keep you humble.

No comments: