Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chocolate Hands

While visiting my mom, we went to church with her. Afterwards I picked the boys up from their primary classes. I noticed that Mikey's teacher had given him a fun-size chocolate bar; I really saw no problem with this until the boys started whining that they wanted their own candy bars. After getting them all rounded up and into the van, I was not thinking very nice things about Mikey's teacher. I started to understand more why the church discourages bringing in treats for the kids - it's because we "Mormon families" have way more than one child and it brings contention to have one child get candy while the siblings have to watch with disappointment. I was also frustrated that Mikey wouldn't just eat the candy bar - why make the other boys continue to stare at it? Also, it was really warm and the chocolate had to be melting.
When we got to my mom's house, I sent the boys into get their clothes changed while I helped Grant and William do the same. I noticed Mikey was going to the kitchen, to eat his candy in there.
As I was getting William dressed, Mikey came in, hands covered in melting chocolate, with a piece of the bar in one hand. He came over and put his messy hand in front of William's face and said, "Here William, here's your candy."
I couldn't believe that my boy was so thoughtful. I love that he sees everything that he gets as something he can share with his brothers. The experience made me change my attitude and instead I was grateful to the Primary teacher for giving Mikey the candy; therefore giving me an opportunity to see what a great boy he is.

No comments: