On the 4th of July we went to a parade in Hurricane, Utah. Grant had not been feeling well, but he was being good/well enough for us to go to the parade. Even though it was in the morning, it was a little warm. The boys were so excited to get the candy that was thrown at them. When a car threw a twin-Popsicle out, this was the best. Roger ran over and grabbed it. William came running up behind him and started crying, stating that he wanted one as well. Roger immediately started pointing out that there were two halves, one for him and one for William. This of course made William happy.
Roger came to me to have me open and divide the Popsicle. While I was opening it, Grant, who was lethargic and had shown no interest in anything all morning, perked up at the site of this juicy treat. I also realized that Grant could benefit from the Popsicle, especially since I had forgotten to bring him a drink. Knowing how excited Roger was about this treat, I hesitated to ask him to share it with Grant, but I decided to let Roger make a choice without any pressure. I presented it to him, trying to make it sound as though I would be happy with whatever choice he made, but without hesitation Roger sacrificed his share of the Popsicle to Grant.
Between Todd and myself, we have nicknamed Roger "Bruce R. McRoger". He is such a spiritual giant in a small body. He knows so much about the scriptures, can recall many scriptural stories. But not only is his knowledge of the scriptures great, but his understanding of God is inspiring. He is always thinking about Christ, trying to decide what Christ would think about each situation. He will talk of Christ all day, not to show off or to make Mom happy, but just because that is what is on his mind. I overheard him telling my brother once, "I love Jesus.....He's a good guy."
Roger has a lot of confidence in himself. He truly believes that he is the fastest person, can jump the highest, can sing the best, or whatever other thing is ever mentioned. I will have to say, as far as the physical aspects are concerned, he does have great motor skills.
I would say that Roger is somewhat musically inclined. He will tinker on the piano, and it will sound great- no, no prodigy child, but for coming from Todd and I, he really is amazing. He loves to sing as well. He will just sing to himself about things that are going on around him or what he's thinking about. When he's in charge of the song for Family Home Evening, instead of choosing a song for us to sing, he will stand up and sing a song he makes up on the spot. then he will end and ask, "Was that beautiful!"
I love Roger so stinking much. He is a great example to me of what Christ wants us to be.
Happy Birthday Roger!
We had quite the celebrations for Roger's birthday. My sister had 3 wedding parties for her wedding, well, Roger had 3 birthday celebrations, on 3 different days.
The morning of his birthday I asked him what he wanted for breakfast. He wanted mush
After a long day of playing, Todd took Roger by himself to the theatre to watch Toy Story 3. They had a great time together.
The next day we had picked up my cousin, IvyEllen, from the airport. She came to Ohio to go to EFY here with Lana. IvyEllen's birthday is the same day as Roger's so that night we had a birthday celebration. I was waiting to have Roger's "official" birthday cake when Mikey got back from my mom's house, for what is a party without your best friend? But we still wanted to have a celebration for him, so we picked up a small cake from the grocery store, brought most of his presents, and went to the Drive-in theatre. This was Lana and IvyEllen's first time at a Drive-in theatre.
Roger opened his presents.
Several months ago the boys were in the backseat of the car having a discussion amongst themselves about birthday cakes. They came to the conclusion that you have what you really love on the top of your birthday cake. Roger said, "Well..I really love vegetables, so ...Mom!!! Can I have vegetables on my birthday cake?!!?"
He did not forget his request, so of course, I made a vegetable cake. I made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (everything homemade), then I put broccoli on top to decorate it. I usually try to have my kids help me make their cakes, so when we got finished putting the broccoli on, Roger wanted to add more. We pulled out the blueberries and remaining carrots and Roger went to town.
Then his brothers had to blow out the candles.
The funny thing was that Roger wasn't quite sure of how to accept all these nice compliments, so he spent the entire time making faces, very similar to the one shown below.
1 comment:
That veggie cake is cracking me up!
Post a Comment