"Four threes equals twelve"
This is what I happened to hear Mikey say last week as he was playing with legos and grouping them into piles. Seeing this as my chance to give a Mikey a lesson on math, I pulled out a white board. I explained to him what he had just said, then I showed him how we represent that in the math world...multiplication.
Even though I was just using this opportunity to help him understand it for a later time, Mikey caught on fast. Believe it or not, at the age of 6 Mikey is doing multiplication, daily. And the best part is that he understands what he is doing.
There are so many things I love about homeschooling. It's experiences like these that really make me happy. I know that if I were not the sole person responsible for Mikey's learning, I may have just told Mikey that he'll learn more about multiplication when he was older.
But then there are days that I wonder what I am teaching my sons.
While playing with some magnetic letters, Mikey made up this sentence.
Not only is it grammatically incorrect, but he found a way to use a forbidden potty word!
3 comments:
Mikey looks so much like your husband in that picture! (Not that I've ever seen your husband - but in pictures.) I love reading your blog. I hope I am able to encourage my children to learn and be creative without forcing it on them. You have a perfect balance and I hope I can do the same.
Colin too is doing multiplication at age 6, and it just reminds me how much they seem to be alike.
That is lovely! Looks like it's time to teach him arrays- they are one of the mathematical devices that are so functional in the world! P.S. You rock as a mom/teacher/caregiver/runner/cool lady
Post a Comment