Welcome to the Homeschool Room
It use to be known as the "Toy Room", and the owners previous to us had it as a very beautiful office. But, we've got kids and an office is not what we want/need.
The Homeschool room is just off of the kitchen. The windows look out to the front yard.
I love the windows, they go down so far. And don't you love the Roman shades? Ya, they were there when we moved in.
Here's the cute little table that is between the two windows
You will soon see that I have a thing for little tables
Very helpful in teaching the kids the planets...plus they glow in the dark!
The next two units have books filling them up. I love books and love reading and will always encourage my boys to read as often as they can.
The local library's book sales always kill me, but when books are a dollar or less, can you blame me?
Hanging from the ceiling are these little planets from our solar system.
On the East wall is a big built in bookshelves.
The shelving has units four across with each having four open shelves on top and two shelves on bottom that are hidden behind doors. I place things on the two bottom open shelves that the boys can get into and I actually encourage them to get the things on those shelves (with the promise that they will clean up after their done).
The shelving has units four across with each having four open shelves on top and two shelves on bottom that are hidden behind doors. I place things on the two bottom open shelves that the boys can get into and I actually encourage them to get the things on those shelves (with the promise that they will clean up after their done).On the right (South) end of the bookshelves I store puzzles and all sorts of building, shapes, manipulative toys.
The next two units have books filling them up. I love books and love reading and will always encourage my boys to read as often as they can. The next shelving unit houses the homeschool stuff.
Each boy has a cubby with their workbooks that they can easily get into.
High on top are the games (not always looking very tidy) and toys/activities that need a little bit more supervision and help.
Two of the doored shelves house my personal craft supplies...don't worry, I have child locks on them, I don't want that stuff messed with.
One of the other doored shelves houses more building/manipulative toys like Legos, Mr. Potato Head, and MagNetix. Have you tried Magnetix? If you haven't, you need to get some. It's a little more expensive than I would like, but it keeps the boys (all of them) entertained for hours as they try new things and play with what they have made.
The final remaining doored shelves is filled with stuff that specifically William and Grant can get into. Stuff like board books and board puzzles.
On the north wall, I have this picture configuration.
Don't look too closely, many pictures are crooked and some are even sideways. I have been meaning to replace the sideways pictures, they've only been that way for about six months.
My parents got this sign for me when I just had Mikey and Roger
It was true then and even truer now.Below the pictures is an ottoman.
A nice comfortable place for the boys to read books or play toys. My mom brought the ottoman to me from her old house in Nauvoo. The secret of this piece of furniture is that it can pull out into a single bed! I have an instant guest room if needed. It hasn't been used yet, but it is there...so come visit me!
Here is the view from the window, you can also see the table in the middle. I told you that I'm obsessed with little tables.
It was a gift from Todd's parents, and fits perfectly in the space.
On the west wall is this shoe shelf turned book shelf. I like that it allows the boys to see the titles of books, making it more desirable for them to pick a book up and it is easily in their reach.
Above it is the Feelings poster. I like to think that this helps the boys to understand and pinpoint what emotion they're feeling...they don't seem to point out to it when they're upset though.
Here is the "Entertainment center".
I actually found this beauty one day while running. A friend and I were running and we noticed that someone had set it out on their curb for the trash. I was mesmerized by it and felt that I could/would find a place for it. After finishing our run, I drove to my house, picked up our Yukon, drove it over to where this was on the curb, muscled it into my car and drove it home as my new piece of furniture, all while Todd and my boys were still asleep.
It really was in great condition, I haven't done anything to it.
It houses a TV/DVD combo, as well as holds all the library DVDs I check out (on bottom shelf). Notice the bunny ears on top? We don't have cable television, but decided to get some bunny ears for if there ever was a time that we needed to watch something, so this happens to be the only place in the house that can get any television channels...all three, which are not always clear.
2 comments:
Love the room. You really have an abundance of teaching/learning supplies!
You are a master! I am so impressed with all that you have done and hat you have prepared. The efforts that you are putting in are not in vain, your children are so blessed to have such a bright and caring mom!
Post a Comment