Because of Todd's schedule and because traveling with four kids is SO MUCH FUN, we had Christmas at home this year, all by ourselves. It was really a great experience. My brother's birthday is on Christmas eve, so growing up that day was a very special day, I kept that tradition. I worked hard the days before so that I could spend the entire day with the boys. Todd worked an all nighter, so when he got home at 8 AM, I let him sleep while the boys and I had a big breakfast. We sang songs, read stories, played together and we went and visited an older lady in our ward. By time we were done (around 3 PM) we got to wake up Daddy.
That evening Jenny and her kids came over for dinner. We had meatballs in BarBQ sauce (something I'm trying out as a tradition).
We have a friend who is a pastor of a church in town. She was having a Christmas Eve service. So after dinner, we went over to her church. It was definitely different than our church, but it was nice. They had candles lit through the congregation, which the boys loved.
While we were sitting there, I was whispering to Mikey things about the service. I mentioned that we were at someone else's church. His eyes widened and he said, "Mom!!! I'm not in my church clothes!!!"
We came home and performed our own Nativity story. For the first time in my life, I got to be Mary!!!! I was so excited. I've always wanted to be Mary, but my sister Lyndee always insisted that she be Mary, and since she's better at being dramatic, I never got the chance. Then when Lyndee finally was too old to care about being Mary, my younger sisters stepped in. So, after all these years, I made my debut as Mary, another plus for being the only girl in this family.
Because he did such a great job the other night, Mikey played Joseph again.
Roger wanted to be a shepard, but after the first couple of minutes he didn't want to be anything. But upon seeing Daddy dress up and play the part as an innkeeper, Roger wanted to join in. Roger was the inn keeper who gave the option of the stable. He also played a shepard and a wise man - very talented.
William was dressed up as a wise man, but he actually didn't participate too much. He wasn't happy with the script and tried negotiating a new script titled, "Let's go to bed"
Grant replayed his role as Baby Jesus, performing it even better the second time around.
We then put out a slice of apple pie for Santa, said a family prayer and went to bed (at least the kids did, we had to stay up and help Santa)
In the morning the boys came and jumped in bed with Todd and I (something they do every morning, not just Christmas morning). I ran downstairs and turned on all the Christmas lights. Then we all went into "Mommy's nice room", where we had a prayer, thanking our Heavenly Father for His Son and His Son's sacrifice.
In the morning the boys came and jumped in bed with Todd and I (something they do every morning, not just Christmas morning). I ran downstairs and turned on all the Christmas lights. Then we all went into "Mommy's nice room", where we had a prayer, thanking our Heavenly Father for His Son and His Son's sacrifice.
We ran into the living room where we found that Santa ate our pie and left toys for the boys. The boys got a "Rescue Hero" spaceship and a Fisher Price castle and boat (which he got for a great deal at a local consignment store).
Mikey got some building toys, Roger got a camera, and William got some fun little toys, and Grant.... well..... he.... umm........ he got to play with some of his brother's old toys.
and he was thrilled about it!The boys loved just playing and playing. Of course they wanted Todd and I to play with them.
They got Starburst candies in their stockings, which was a hit. William liked those better than any of the toys.
Todd's old girlfriend had promised him that she would make him a scrapbook of his mission, she didn't fulfill her promise. I guess she didn't fulfill the promise that she'd wait for him either, that just demonstrated that she just can't be depended on. Whenever Todd would suggest that I make his scrapbook, I would tell him that I never agreed to do it, and that he should send it to his old girlfriend to have her finish it. So what if she's married and has kids, she promised!!!! Well, I decided to be the bigger man (or maybe the good wife) and made it for him. It took a lot of work and time, but seeing Todd's face and his excitement, was definitely worth it.
Todd had gotten me an Ohio State sweatshirt. Ya, I was THRILLED with that gift. It was more of a gift for him, to have his wife wearing his team's sweatshirt. I think next year I'll get Todd some new decorations for the house. Sounds fair to me.
Nothing says "I'm moving on" like giving away your old wedding rings. Well, that's what my mom did. She gave each of her children an old ring of hers. The up side, I've got a beautiful new ring. 
A very wonderful morning and experience, but now we're a little tired
2 comments:
It is so great that you have kept the Nativity story tradition going on from your own childhood. I remember watching you and your older siblings doing this, and it sure does not seem like that long ago. Looks as though you had a pretty nice Christmas. And although it is fun to be with the extended family for Christmas, it is also nice at times just to have a non hectic, relaxing and fun day to hang out and enjoy sharing in the excitement of Christmas with the kids.. They grow up way to fast, I know this, because yesterday you were only three..°Ü°
What a fun Christmas.
Post a Comment