Monday, March 9, 2009

Organic

A friend of mine had asked why I was against purchasing "Organic" food. I thought I would share with you my feelings on the subject.

There is nothing nutritionally different from "Organic" and "normal" food. When buying "Organic", you are not getting a special fruit or vegetable that is going to hold a magic element that will change your life. "Normal" food does contain more pesticides, but even then just trace amounts. These pesticides are not harmful to us, and therefore we should not react like they are.
"Organic" food is more expensive. Now to me, this is a turn off, but there have always been people that view themselves as elites. They have to have what normal people can't have or afford. Isn't it funny that you see so many of Hollywood people saying how they only eat "organic" food? Wouldn't you feel that you were better than everyone else if whenever anyone saw you they acted like they were seeing an immortal? So to me, the reason "organic" is viewed as special is because they pay more for it, and by paying more, they are proving to others and themselves that they deserve more than what the average person is getting.

I feel that using our resources and by supporting the genetically modified plant industry, we can take a step towards ending world hunger. Genetically modified foods not only can produce more food, but we can make the plants stronger against the harsh elements. If we can come to a point where most fruits and vegetables could be grown in the harshest of climates, food can be provided to everyone. Also, I quote Norman Ernest Borlaug, the American plant geneticist who won a Nobel Peace Prize who has this to say about the organic fad: "This shouldn't even be a debate. Even if you could use all the organic material you have – the animal manures, the human waste, the plant residues – and get them back on the soil, you couldn't feed more than four billion people." I just think "organic" is such a scam. It's a way for people to take away your money. But, there are people who need to feel superior to other people, and by purchasing the same food for more money is one way that they can get that feeling, good for them. The sad part is that there are normal people, who don't do any research, but because of all they hype believe that "organic" is better, so they are spending more money on the belief that they are getting something that is better for them and their children.
I do support purchasing food at your local farmer's market, or from local farms, I think it's great to support those hard working farmers and to help build the community up. For the most part when we have our own little gardens in our yard, they are "organic", and I see nothing wrong with that, I just really hate how "organic" has become this huge fad that is supposed to interpret that those who buy "organic" are more concerned about their bodies and their environment. Give me a break.
I do realize that there are a lot of people who disagree with me, but please do realize that this is my personal blog, not a news source, not a commercial website. Please keep your comments tasteful.
For a website with some info, go here

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

You go girl!! I never understood the hype about organic either. I just didn't know why or how to express it. You hit it on the nose. I to feel that those who will only eat "organic" are considering them selfs better people than me just because they do. Save the extra money and donate it to more hungry people. Thats how we can make this world a better place. Be less selfish!
P.S. I totally love your blog and look forward to reading it every week. You have such and adorable family and children with huge personalities!!!!

The Lassen Family said...

Loni, dear, I hear you and you have a good argument as to why you would not buy organic. Just consider that there are many people who would buy organic who are not doing it for elitist reasons. (Not me, by the way, but probably more than a few normal old Joe's like me :-)

Holly said...

Well said Loni, well said!
Holly W

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

You are very well spoken.

Terra said...

finally someone with some sense! I had a lady lecture me on how I should only feed my girls organic milk. (she thought regular milk was fine for boys and adults, go figure) Then she proceeded to tell me it was $5-6/gallon. Do you realize what that would do to my grocery budget with 3 girls??? Sure, they could drink organic milk, but they'd be malnourished in every other food group.

Katie said...

Well said Loni! We never buy organic (except for that one time we accidently bought organic croutons!) b/c we just don't see the need for it right now. I haven't ever gotten sick on other food bought at the store, so why should I change? So, thanks for posting this..it makes me EXCITED for summer and the farmers markets!!

Natalie Buchkovich said...

Amen!
You must have a smart and cute cousin!

Melissa said...

you know how they have massive recalls on produce sometimes because it's making people sick? I'm pretty sure it's always organic, but nobody ever mentions that part because they don't want to admit that they're wrong. :) you should see how crazy these austinites get about their organic crap. it's kinda silly. I love reading your blog!