Friday, April 23, 2010

Wedding Plans

Lyndee had been telling me about her advancing relationship with Nathan, so it was no surprise when she told me that they were going to get married. While I was so excited for her, but I did feel somewhat sad because I had this desire to be with Lyndee, to share a part of this time with her, to see her and Nathan together. We've always been very close and she was there for when Todd and I were dating, engaged and married.She and I were discussing this fact when she brought up that she had Spring Break the next week (she works at a school) and that I should call our dad and ask him if he'd fly me out. I wasn't sure about it, especially since they hadn't told my dad about their engagement (they were going to see him that weekend). Then, as if my dad knew we were talking about him, he called me while I was talking to Lyndee. I dismissed his call, then several minutes later he was calling Lyndee. She said that she was going to ask him if he'd fly me out and ended our conversation.Ten minutes later my dad called me back and asked if I was wanting to go to Utah. (My dad will find any reason or excuse to have us out there...it's really cute). I told him that I would, but only if he could find some cheap, or at least reasonably cheap tickets. He called back the next day with the news that everything was really expensive. I was actually okay with this news, for at times I find it difficult to go on trips because it disrupts our life so much. He recommended that I come out in a couple of weeks, and without committing to anything we said our good-byes.The next morning, my dad called me and told me that he had found a flight he could use his many, many sky miles on to get me there. I was surprised, especially since I had dismissed the thought from my mind. Then of course Saint Dorthy offered to watch my kids so that I could spend some quality time with my sister. I decided that I couldn't leave Grant, but I did take her up on her offer. When I asked my dad if it was alright if just Grant and I came (he really likes seeing the boys) he got quiet then said, "well...ya, I always love seeing you guys, but I will want you to bring the boys out again later".With him still not knowing of Lyndee's engagement, I said, "Ya, we'll come visit you in June." Lyndee's date is set for June 19th!
Grant and I flew out for our short trip, from Tuesday until Saturday, but still so glad that we went. It was nice only having one child, but at the same time, I realized I should have brought one other child. Grant is a little demanding and very use to having someone entertain him all day, so there were problems when Lyndee wanted her Lime light and Grant was demanding his too.We flew into Vegas and stayed with Lyndee there for a couple of days. While there we hashed out her wedding plans, looked at announcements, finalized her decisicion on her ring, and of course went shopping for a wedding dress.
When we went to the bridal store, I was not at all surprised to find that Lyndee was friends with the girl that was helping us ---I swear Lyndee knows EVERYONE!!
It was fun to see Lyndee trying on these white gowns. At first she wasn't quite sure of what even to think, it was just so foreign, but by the end she was handling it like a pro. Thought Grant had been a pill the entire day, something about seeing Lyndee in a wedding dress helped him grant her the "Diva for a day" title.Won't she be a stunning bride?Though there were a few dresses that we liked, nothing really caught our attention. Thursday we drove to Utah. We made a quick stop at our long time friend, Britta, and saw her beautiful baby and talked wedding plans with her. Lyndee and I had gone to Utah without her dear Nathan. He had told her that he wouldn't be able to come out to Utah this weekend because he was so busy with school. Lyndee pouted about this all while he let me know that he was planning on surprising her and officially proposing with the ring.
Friday we left Grant with a sitter, and all of us sisters went wedding dress shopping. It was so much fun. The place was nice, it had couches for us to sit on and admire her while she twirled in front of the mirror. It was fun to celebrate Lyndee all while admiring her beauty. She found a dress that was not only beautiful on her, but that she really liked. We then tried on some bridesmaids dresses, but could not find anything that worked and there were no dresses that had all mine, LeNae and Lana's sizes. We went to the mall in hopes to find something before we needed to meet my dad for dinner. We searched and searched, and nothing was working for us. Though we were running late, we stopped by the last store, Dillards.
We went over to the dress department and it seemed that even though we would find a black dress that could work, our sizes all weren't there or available. Then we noticed these three purple dresses on the sale rack. It was the shade of purple that Lyndee had wanted. Amazingly enough there were mine, LeNae, and Lana's sizes. They fit well...and were 60% off to boot!
After dinner I told Lyndee that we should go look at the pond to see how she wanted her reception there set up. As we got closer I had LeNae text Nathan to see if he was ready. He informed her that he was an hour behind schedule. I picked up Grant, taking my sweet time, trying to figure out what to do next. I got back into the car and said that our Dad had texted me and wanted us to go to his house.
This worked fine and dandy until we pulled up to his house and Lyndee asked where he was. He wasn't there! I took Grant to the bathroom and tried to think of what to do next. To stall for time, I jumped on the computer to look for more of the bridesmaid dresses for Nathan's sister and -in-law, and for Tavia. Yours truly found some, and yes, they were also 60% off!
Nathan finally got things ready, and my dad, who had come home by this point, took Lyndee to the pond house to help him with something. When they got out of the pond house, Lyndee noticed music, lights, and a man on the little island. Well....if you want all the details, you can see her blog.
My dad later admitted that it was strange that he kept looking for a flight for us to come out on - not something he would had normally done. I'm so glad he did. I had a great time celebrating Lyndee - it's not everyday your childhood playmate and dear sister gets married.We did have some time to see my dad. His name-sake sure does love him - they actually act a lot alike.And Grant got to play with Addison.She actually took care of him for me. She took him on a walk without anyone asking her to. She is such a cutie.And no trip to Bampa's is complete without a visit with Skippy - the goat that thinks he's a dog

4 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

That is so great that Lyndee is getting married! How exciting :) That's great you were able to help her with all the preparations. Isn't having sisters so much fun! Also, in catching up on your previous posts, I can't believe Grant is potty trained! I am so jealous! I wish Jett was ready....

The Kings said...

I'm so glad I got to see you on your trip to Utah! Looks like it was a very productive trip. Lyndee is lucky to have such a wonderful supportive sister!

P.s... I noticed your cloth diapers- How are they? I saw them on baby steals the other day and was very tempted- Craig gave me a disgusted look though. How have they worked for you?

Lyndee said...

Thanks for coming out, I appreciated your love and support. Things always seem to go smoother when you are around :)

Natalie Buchkovich said...

I am just so thrilled for Lyndee! Especailly since it sounds like I get to be at the reception in Utah!!